The New Office

Tim stared at the wall of his new office. He hadn't had much time to soak in everything that was happening.

Suddenly, the door barged open. "Okay, so I have some paint samples," said Lucy, kicking the door closed behind her.

"What ever happened to knocking before entering?" said Tim. "What if I was doing private things in here?"

Lucy pursed her lips, "Then I would tell you to do those private things elsewhere as your new office is mostly glass and overlooks the station."

Tim shook his head.

"Anyway, so I have some fun colors and I also have some 'Tim colors'," Lucy begins.

"Dare I ask what a 'Tim color' is?" asked Tim, leaning forward, resting his elbows on the desk.

"Simple colors, you know, plain. Boring, even."

Tim cocked an eyebrow, "Are you calling me boring, Officer Chen?"

"No, of course not, I'm just saying that I have colors here that you might be more inclined to choose."

"Then what's the point of your 'fun' colors?"

"So that you have a diverse selection."

"Well, I choose none of the above. I'm not painting Grey's old office."

Lucy's hands fell to her side, "Fine. Forget the paint samples," she says, tossing them into the trash can on her left. "Ooh, how about some chairs for in front of your desk?"

Tim shook his head. "No chairs."

"A couch?"

"Nothing that would suggest that someone comes in here to have a seat and a conversation with me."

"Fine," said Lucy, slightly grinning. She struts over, behind Tim's desk, pushing him and his rolling chair away from his computer.

"Hey-" Tim began to protest.

"Shh," Lucy says, pulling up a furniture website, and loading a navy blue armchair on the display.

"I'll go ahead and order you two of these. Think of it as a congratulations gift, Watch Commander Bradford,"

"You don't have to do that," said Tim.

"You're right, I wouldn't have to if you'd just get the chairs,"

Tim rolled his eyes, "Fine," he caved. "I'll get the damn chairs."

Lucy clapped and squealed with delight.

"Okay, now what about some plants?"

"Plants?" said Tim.

"Yes, plants. Fake ones, obviously. It saves you the trouble of having to get new ones when the real plants meet their inevitable death." said Lucy.

Tim scooted his way back behind his computer, resting his elbows on his desk. "Are you calling me a plant killer?"

Lucy's eyes widened, "No, I'm just saying, you're too busy to take care of a real plant, you know? Fake ones are just pretty with less responsibility."

"So I don't have time to take care of plants but you do? Don't act like you don't have plants all over your apartment."

Lucy put up a finger, "First of all, those are succulents. They take less water therefore less responsibility. Second of all, they are Tamara's plants."

Tim shook his head, "No plants."

Lucy opened her mouth, preparing an argument, when her phone rang.

"This conversation isn't over," she says, picking up the phone and exiting the office.

~~~

"Lucy," a faint voice called. "Lucy!"

Lucy's head sprang up from the hard wooden surface it was once resting on.

Lucy turns her head to find Tamara standing behind the couch. "What time is it?" Lucy asks, rubbing her eyes.

"Almost 8:45," said Tamara.

"Crap," Lucy mutters. She takes a moment to assess the items around here. Notebook, laptop, pencil...oh right. She was designing Tim's office.

She darts up from the floor and into her bedroom, throwing on the closest pieces of clothing that she can find.

She makes sure to make a stop in the bathroom to brush her teeth, splash water on her face, and brush her hair.

"Sorry I'm late," Lucy says, bursting through the doors.

"Again with the no knocking," said Tim. "You missed roll call."

"I know, and I'm sorry. I fell asleep trying to find things for your office." Lucy says, so quickly that it comes out sounding like one big word.

"You were doing what?"

"Look, I did lots of research and I found a lot of furniture that is being sold that fits your taste on reliable resale websites."

"You didn't have to do that."

"But I wanted to. You can save a lot of money,"

Tim sighed.

"Look," said Lucy. "At least look at them, I spent all night on all of it."

Tim sighed again. "Fine, text me the links."

Lucy clapped with delight, "And while I'm at it, I'll send you the layout I drew. You won't regret this."

"I know I will," said Tim, shooing Lucy out of his office.