The Birthday Party

"So are you two coming to my party tomorrow or what?" said Aaron.

"We'll be there," said Lucy, placing her hand on Tim's arm.

"Did you just accept an invite for me?" Tim teased.

"We are not missing Aaron's birthday party," said Lucy. "Besides, I already have a dress to wear,"

"I don't think that the type of parties that Aaron throws are the type that you're thinking," said Tim.

"Well I didn't just spend $100 on a cocktail dress for it to not fit in the dress code so I'm wearing it," said Lucy.

"Can't wait to see it when I pick you up," said Tim, placing a kiss on Lucy's forehead before getting into his car.

"Tomorrow at 5," he says before closing his door.

~~~

Lucy looked at herself in the mirror, praying that she was in the dress code for Aaron's party.

She had meant what she said, she didn't spend $100 on a cocktail dress for her to just not wear it.

A knock on her apartment door disturbed her from searching through her shoe racks.

She hurried over to the door to find Tim standing there.

"Oh shoot, it's 5 already?" she said as she opened the door.

Tim stared at her in awe. Her dress was mid-thigh and in a color that only she could pull off.

She kept her hair and makeup plain and simple but was done up enough for Tim to notice.

"I'm sure we can show up fashionably late," was all that Tim could say.

"Yeah," Lucy muttered as she stepped out of the way to let Tim in. "I'm torn on what kind of shoes to wear," she says before disappearing into her room.

"Like I feel like I have to wear heels but I want to be comfy," she shouted.

"Did you ask Tamara?" said Tim.

Lucy poked her head out, "Tamara thinks I should wear something sexy, whatever that means,"

"I say you wear whatever you want," Tim shrugged.

"So heels?"

"I thought that you wanted to be comfy?"

"I know but I'll feel awkward wearing this dress and shoes. Besides I'm sure that all the other girls there will be wearing heels,"

"All the other girls there are probably strippers,"

"Well, what about Angela and Nyla? Are they even going?"

"Harper, no, Lopez, probably? I'm sure she and Wesley need a break from being parents,"

"That's not helpful if she'll be by the bar all night,"

"I mean we could do that,"

"God no, I hate being hung over,"

"You don't have to drink just because you're by the bar,"

Lucy huffed, "Then that defeats the whole point of being by the bar!"

"You're overthinking this, Lucy. Just bring two pairs of shoes if it's really this big of a deal,"

"You're a genius," said Lucy, emerging from her room. "We will start with heels and transition into shoes,"

"Are you ready to go now?" said Tim, standing up from the couch.

"Yes, let's go," said Lucy, linking arms with Tim.

~~~

The party was everything that Lucy thought it would be. A college frat party.

There were young people everywhere, flashing lights, and people dancing poolside.

"Is this what it's like to be rich?" said Lucy as the two made it to the RVSP table.

"Hi," the lady behind the counter smiled. "Please read and sign these contracts,"

"We need to sign a contract to go to our friend's birthday party?" Lucy scoffed, reading over the contract.

"We have to sign off to potentially be shown in Aaron's TV show?" Tim said, reading the contract.

"This seems a bit much," said Lucy, signing her name at the bottom and sliding the paper back to the lady. "Where do we drop off gifts?"

"Oh, I can take them from you right here," the lady says, gesturing for them to put it on the counter.

Lucy placed a small box wrapped in blue wrapping paper on the counter before she and Tim went to explore.

"Glad to know that I'm in dress code," said Lucy, looking around at the other guests.

There was a dance floor that was lit up by fluorescent-colored lights, people dancing next to the pool, and from what Lucy could see, multiple bars.

"Let's find Lopez and Wesley," Tim shouts over the music.

The two wander around trying to look for any of their friends.

"We've passed like three bars and Lopez and Wesley are at none of them," said Tim, looking around.

"There," says Lucy, pointing at a smaller and less crowded bar in the back corner.

Lucy had a hard time keeping up with Tim's long strides.

"Took you long enough," said Angela, sipping her beer.

"It's not so easy when you hide out in a tiny little bar in the back corner," said Tim.

"Hey, there's fewer people and less attention back here,"

"Yeah, whatever,"

"You two gonna drink? Aaron's paying so I would suggest getting all of the expensive stuff,"

Tim shakes his head, "We're staying sober for this one,"

"Woah woah woah," says Lucy, "I was staying sober so you could drink,"

Tim put his hands on his hips, "I thought you were staying sober because you hate being hungover,"

"Well that too, but I was going to so that you could drink,"

"I don't like being hungover either,"

"God, you two are so boring," Angela interjected. "You should drink, Bradford. Has Lucy seen you drunk yet?"

"No," said Lucy. "But I'd like to," she says with a sly smile.

"Not happening," said Tim, turning to face the bartender. "Two waters, please,"

"I'll work on him," Angela mouthes to Lucy.

~~~

A/N: hii!! i wasn't too sure where i was going with this story LOL. leave suggestions for more stories!!