1x09 Rewrite

"Look out!" Tim shouted as they broke through the wall.

Lucy reached for her gun. She was too slow.

After hearing the bang, she heard a ringing in her ears.

And after that, everything went dark. Everything felt numb.

"Chen," was the first thing that she heard when she came to. It was quiet. It was just her and Tim left in the apartment.

"7-Adam-19, I have an officer down, send an RA to my location. I have a GSW victim," Tim shouted into his radio.

With one hand, he supported her head and used the other to apply pressure to the wound.

"Just hold on," Tim said, pressing harder. Lucy arched her back, groaning softly.

"Tim," she whispered.

"Sh," Tim interrupted before Lucy could say anything else.

She was so tired. If she closed her eyes, everything would go away. She would feel so much better if she could just go to sleep.

"Open your eyes," Tim said. He pressed down harder.

"Open your damn eyes, Chen,"

Lucy's eyes fluttered open as she heard Tim release a relieved sigh.

"Where the hell is the RA?" Tim barked into his radio.

"ETA one minute," someone responded.

Tim cupped the side of Lucy's face, "Just hold on," he said. "One more minute,"

And suddenly, everything went dark again.

The sounds of sirens and panicked voices are what ultimately brought her back.

Lucy turned her head to her left to find Tim sitting there, squeezing her hand.

"Everything's going to be okay," Tim promised.

Tim watched as her eyes fluttered closed again.

"She's losing blood," the nurse shouted.

Tim squeezed Lucy's hand even harder as they pulled into the loading dock of the hospital.

He was forced to release her as they unloaded the back of the ambulance.

He followed them out, watching Lucy get wheeled inside.

He eventually made his way to the waiting room where Grey was already waiting.

"How are you holding up?' Grey asked him.

"Fine," said Tim. "She'll pull through,"

Grey nodded. "It's okay if you're worried,"

Tim sighed, "She's my first rookie to get shot,"

"I know,"

"I mean, what does that say about me as a TO?"

"Nothing. Officer Chen was just at the wrong place at the wrong time. There was nothing that you could've done to prevent this. And now, the man who shot her is going to prison,"

Tim sighed again.

"I'm going to head back to the station, and I suggest that you do the same. They'll call you when she's out of surgery," said Grey.

Tim shook his head, "I have to stay,"

"All right then," said Grey as he made his way to the elevators.

The next few hours were filled with different people coming in and out of the waiting room to ask him how Lucy was doing.

Finally, one of the nurses walked up to him.

"Officer Bradford?" she asked.

Tim stood up, "Yes?"

"Officer Chen is out of surgery. You may go see her now,"

"Is she awake?"

"No, but you can sit with her until she wakes up. She's in room 403 to your left,"

"Thanks," said Tim, speed-walking to the room.

He took a couple of deep breaths before walking in.

Lucy laid so perfectly still. Her hands were at her sides, her hair rested on her chest. Her lips were slightly turned up at the corners.

Tim sat at one of the chairs to her left. As quietly as he could, he scooted the chair closer to her bed.

About half an hour of nurses coming in and out to check on Lucy passed before she finally woke up.

"Hey," Tim said softly.

Lucy gave him a small smile.

"How are you feeling?"

Lucy let out an amused chuckle, "Like I've been hit by a thousand trucks,"

Tim let out a soft laugh.

"They didn't call my parents, did they?" Lucy asked.

"Who?"

"The hospital,"

Tim shrugged, "Not that I know of. Do you want me to tell them to call them?"

Lucy shook her head. "If they find out about this, they'll pull the 'I told you so' crap,"

"They didn't want you to be a cop?"

Lucy chuckled, "No. I can just imagine them saying 'This would've never happened if you were a therapist'."

"Be honest," Lucy spoke again. "How many more times am I going to be admitted here? As a cop?"

"A lot more than you'd like," said Tim.

"I mean, I'd like to never be admitted here.."

"Why not? The nurses make really great friends,"

Lucy let out a small laugh.

Tim smiled. "I'm going to let Grey know that you're up and out of surgery."

"Okay," Lucy said softly as she watched Tim exit the room.

She sighed as a nurse came in.

"Glad to see that you're awake," the nurse smiled. "So I'm a bit confused, you have no emergency contact listed. Would you like to list one now? We can give them a call,"

Lucy shook her head, "No, I don't need an emergency contact."

The nurse gave Lucy a bit of a judgmental look, "I'm not sure that that's a good idea,"

Lucy sighed, "List Tim Bradford, please,"

"The gentleman outside? Is he your boyfriend?"

"Just my coworker."

"What about listing a parent or relative?"

"No, I want Tim as my emergency contact,"

The nurse gave Lucy a tight smile before exiting the room.

As she went out, Tim came in.

"Grey and the rest are on their way," he said.

"Um, is it okay that I have you listed as my emergency contact?"

Tim was taken aback, "Yeah...sure. Why?"

"I mean, the nurse was a bit judgmental when I said I didn't want one,"

"What about your parents? A relative?"

"I don't really have relatives in the area...and I know that the second my parents are called all they'll do is try to make me change my career,"

Tim took a sharp inhale, "I'm not sure if it's really appropriate for--"

"--Please," Lucy interjected.

Tim pressed his lips together to make a thin line, "Yeah, it's fine. I'll be your emergency contact."

"Thank you," Lucy whispered.

~~~

A/N: hii! i was kind of thinking about this one for a while because like what if lucy hadn't been wearing the tim bradford special??? also, THANK YOU FOR 1.18K VIEWS 🥹!! i truly appreciate all of the support i've received from the book.