Chapter 25

*• June 2013 •*
- Denver, Colorado -
~< Castles Crumbling >~

CW: Vomit, drugs (implied illegality), disordered eating, vaping and alcohol

If any of these subjects are sensitive or triggering, please prioritize your mental health and do not read!

ADDIE THREW UP ON THE BATHROOM CARPET. She swore she'd aimed for the toilet, but she hadn't been able to help the sudden wave of nausea.

Her vision blurred with tears, nostrils burning as she coughed, reaching for some toilet paper to wipe her mouth.

But then a pair of arms grabbed her and steered her towards a trash can where she promptly vomited some more. Addie retched until her throat was scratchy and drier than the chicken that Niall had cooked that one time.

"Let it all out," a voice murmured into her ear. A pair of gloved hands grabbed the carpet and carried it away. She wasn't clear-headed enough to bother noticing if it was a cleaner or someone else.

With the carpet out of the way, the pair of hands guided her to kneel in front of the toilet. Addie was lucky she'd tied her hair back earlier due to the air conditioning in her dressing room failing.

"Fuck," Addie groaned, leaning her head against her arm resting on the rim of the toilet.

Now that she wasn't focused on throwing up, the voice that had spoken to her became recognizable. "What happened?" Noelle prompted.

Tension rolled through Addie's body. She didn't know why she felt so uncomfortable around Noelle, but she did. Addie didn't trust her. She mumbled weakly, "I dunno."

"I need you to clean yourself up and get ready for the show, alright?" Noelle explained, rubbing circles into Addie's back that only made her tenser. "Stay hydrated and get some solids in you. I'll call the doctor to check you."

Noelle pressed her hand against Addie's forehead, the unfamiliar touch making the young girl recoil. It was clear from the frown on Noelle's face, and the sheen of sweat covering Addie's body what the problem was.

"You have a fever," Noelle grimaced.

No shit Sherlock, Addie wanted to say, she was the one who shivered with every small burst of air that came through the open bathroom door.

Addie knew what her body felt like when she had a fever, the weakness at the core of her bones, and the exhaustion dragging her down. She'd felt it several times in her life and knew how to recognize it.

"I don't know if I can stand up," Addie finally broke the silence. Noelle pursed her lips in response.

"You need to try."

Addie shook her head. "I can't."

"Do. It," Noelle insisted, a fierce glare behind her dark eyes. She then reached forward, pulling Addie's arm until the girl stumbled to her feet.

Addie could feel the weakness in her body, the way she wavered on her feet and leaned most of her weight against Noelle. And when the woman let go of her, Addie would've fallen had she not caught herself on the bathroom counter.