Chapter 38

*• December 2013 •*
- Paris, France -
~< We Were In Paris >~

DECEMBER TWENTY-THIRD WAS THE DAY IT STARTED.

There was nothing that Addie hated more than that stupid 10 hour and 45 minute flight from Los Angeles to Paris.

But the six hours at the airport were probably the worst part of it all. And it could all be boiled down to a few text messages from various people.

LOUIS

Lou 🧸
Addie, I think the band is breaking up

HARRY

Love 💘
I'm bailing on the Paris trip
I'm sorry baby

MOM

Mom
Adelaide Heathers Castillo Vera,
you are not allowed to go to Paris
with your stupid boyfriend,
you are to come home this instant

SIMON

Simon (Boss)
Adelaide, make sure to
call me once you have
the time.

And yes, Addie was on the verge of a panic attack in the middle of LAX. Crowds of people swarmed the airport within the confines of beige bricks and silver and glass balconies. There was the constant sound of couples chattering, babies crying, and the announcement of each flight's departure repeatedly called over the intercom.

The lights were bright, and the sun shined through the large windows, hitting Addie's skin directly and heating the steel frame of her chair. The metal would soon turn scalding hot at that rate.

Someone knocked against Addie's elbow as they rushed past her, rolling a suitcase along with them and a large backpack thrown over their shoulder. And in front of her, the man was loudly eating a bag of chips, and she could hear the crunch crunch crunch even with headphones over her ears, albeit without music playing.

The woman sitting beside herhad a large puffer jacket on, a clear indication that she was headed somewhere much colder or was foreign because no sane Californian would wear a puffer jacket in the middle of the day with the sun in the sky, even in December. Or maybe Addie had just grown used to colder weather.

But the sleeve of the woman's puffer jacket kept rubbing against Addie's shoulder due to its volume, and she was ready to snap at the woman to keep her arms to herself. But if she did, it would probably end up making national news, so it was probably for the best to keep quiet.

Which was another thing that kept her anxious: the possibility of paparazzi or people recognizing her in such a public space. It wasn't easy to stay hidden when so exposed and surrounded by so many people. At least one person was bound to recognize her and share photos of her. Which meant paparazzi might show up. And if paparazzi showed up, they might see what flight she was on and then everyone would know she would be in Paris, and-

Addie's phone buzzed and vibrated in the pocket of her jeans. She slid her phone out of her pocket and answered, "Hi?"

"Addie, remember how I stayed over last night at your house?" Tara said, her voice muffled and distorted over the phone, with the sound of papers shuffling in the background.