Chapter 36

*• November 2013 •*
- Los Angeles, USA -
~<We'll Pay The Price, I Guess>~

TW: Mentions of self-harm and disordered eating. Read with caution.

PAPARAZZI WERE JUST OUT OF SIGHT AND FOLLOWING THEM. In exchange for one day of total bliss, where Addie could perform her play, and Harry could watch her, they'd have to give up the privacy of their relationship.

They were holding hands as they strolled through a park near Addie's house, making casual conversation, and the occasional hug or small kiss. A lot of PDA, to really sell some images. All for the press.

Noelle was hovering somewhere not too far away, and if Addie glanced over her shoulder, she could probably spot her. She was basically serving as a babysitter to make sure Addie and Harry did their jobs right.

Addie tried to make it seem like it didn't bother her, that the moments that were supposed to be private and reserved just for loved ones would now be on display for everyone. She tried to force a smile and be okay for Harry. To not burden him with any more weight.

But Harry was acting distant. He wasn't cold, but there was something off about him, and it'd been there for the last week. Whenever Addie kissed him, he'd pull away a second earlier than necessary, if she tried to wrap her arm around his waist, he'd take a step away, if she said 'I love you' he'd hesitate for the slightest of moments before responding. Something wasn't right.

"I've been talking to this girl, Penelope," Addie said, leaning closer to Harry as they walked. He slipped his arm around her waist, holding her close. "She works with Tara and she's really nice."

"Yeah?" Harry said absentmindedly, his eyes distracted by the trees around them.

"She lives in New York right now."

"That's cool." He watched a bird eat bread.

"I think I'm moving to New York."

He hummed and nodded. "That's nice."

Addie's hand that was holding his dug her nails into his skin. "Harry, pay attention to what I'm saying!"

Harry blinked, turning his focus on her, hissing as pain blossomed in his palm. "What was that for?"

"You're distracted while I'm talking to you."

"I'm not!" Harry protested weakly, to which Addie gave him a stern look, silently calling out his bullshit. "Alright, alright, I'm sorry." He sighed. "What were you saying?"

Addie turned to look the other way, giving him the cold shoulder. "Nothing. Wasn't important."

"C'mon, Ads..." Harry sighed, exasperated. She ignored his words, keeping her gaze locked forward. He looked down at his watch. "Our time's up. We can leave now."

"Fine then. Let's go." Addie walked away from him, not caring if he followed or not. He jogged a little to catch up to her, following her as they walked back to Addie's house.

"Can you talk to me?"

Addie shrugged. "I'm talking to you, aren't I?" Her words were sharp and her tone cold.