Chapter 27

*• July 2013 •*
- LA, California -
~< I Want You For Worse Or For Better >~

ADDIE WAS SCARED. She'd been scared plenty of times in her life, but there was something unique about that fear seizing her stomach until she felt she couldn't take any more.

If she rationalized the situation, maybe she'd realize there was nothing to be afraid of, but life wasn't that simple. Addie wasn't that simple.

After last night, Harry and Addie exchanged a couple of messages. Somehow, they'd both gotten drunk at the same time and left each other voicemails.

They'd resolved to fix the situation with a simple phone call. Just trying to make things okay again.

When it was time for Addie to push that little green button and accept the call, her hands shook and she tried not to throw up. "Hi?"

"Hey, love," Harry answered. His voice.

His voice was so familiar, so comforting. She'd recognize it from a mile away and it'd never fail to make the tension leave her body with just a few words.

Addie gingerly said, "I missed you."

"Yeah?"

"I kept seeing things that would remind me of you. And whenever something happened, you were the first person I wanted to tell."

"Why didn't you?"

"Because we were fighting," Addie's voice lowered an octave. As if it were some grand secret that they'd argued. "I couldn't do anything until we fixed that."

"I always want to know about you, even when we're fighting," Harry admitted lowly.

Addie swallowed. "Haz?"

"Yeah?"

"What... What'd I do to make you mad?"

Harry was quick to reassure, his charming tone infiltrating her senses and eliminating any common sense. "It wasn't you, Ads. I'd had a horrible week and an even worse day and I took it out on you. It was shit of me to do, yeah?"

"Okay," Addie said, even when she still felt that little pool of guilt weighing her stomach down and little prickles of pain in her chest from her sadness. "Are we okay, then?"

"Yeah, we're okay."

"Good."

Addie just wanted them to be okay. She didn't care how or why, she just wanted her Harry back.

Either way, she was just being dramatic and overreacting. Harry had apologized, so she shouldn't still feel bad about the situation. It was stupid to do so.

"Can we talk about Nick?" Harry prompted softly, very gently prodding the conversation that way as if she were a baby deer being guided with care.

Addie cleared her throat. "What do you want to know?"

She didn't know why talking about past things with guys always made her uneasy. And it was even worse when it was her boyfriend who asked her about it.