Chapter 26

*• June 2013 •*
- Miami, Florida -
~< Meet Me In The Hallway >~

[HARRY'S POV]

THE DAY HAD STARTED MISERABLY. His alarm had refused to go off, and it took only a few swipes to realize he'd set it to p.m instead of a.m.

Fuck you, phone.

Then, the clothes he'd sent down to get dry cleaned had been lost. Harry had to grab the outfit he'd worn yesterday, and knew full well that paparazzi would take pictures and his fans would judge him.

Goddamn paparazzi.

By the time he managed to get changed, he didn't even have time to comb his hair before he stumbled through the hotel, trying to remember what room Louis was staying in. They were supposed to record there, but for the life of him, he couldn't remember if it was room 7 or 13.

Fuck numbers.

In the end, he knocked on room 7, but instead of a half-asleep bandmate opening the door, it was an old man who proceeded to yell at him for disturbing him.

Shit.

Once he finally got to the right room, of course management gave him dirty looks. Harry'd probably do the same if the roles were reserved.

To be honest, he didn't have the energy to explain himself, and instead just grabbed the headphones handed to him and got into the makeshift booth they'd made in the corner of the room.

An hour later, while Liam was recording his lines, Harry checked his phone, staring at several texts Addie had left on read and the others she hadn't even read yet. He knew this was what he deserved. He'd fucked up. He deserved this.

A pit began to form in his stomach, as the likely possibility of an incoming breakup began to fill his whole body with dread.

Sometimes, all Harry could think about was how much better Addie could do. Whenever he saw her laugh uncontrollably at Louis' jokes, or melt into Niall's hugs, how she sat down next to Zayn even when he was stewing in his own thoughts, just to be next to him and let him know he wasn't alone. Or the conversations she had with Liam about music, and the banter they shared as they argued over whether Lady Gaga or Madonna had more of an impact on the industry.

Addie was just so good.

All Harry could think about was about this perfect, beautiful girl and how smart and funny she was. And her smile. God, her smile. The way she shoved someone with her shoulder lightly when they teased her, but laughed along with a sound more enchanting than an orchestra.

And Harry... well, he was Harry. He got jealous easily, he overthought everything, he wasn't smart or talented like she was. He didn't compare to her. Not in looks or brains or anything.

All the time, Harry was secretly thinking that she would eventually realize she was too good for him. And maybe a part of him hoped she'd just get it over with and break his heart so she could move on and find someone who deserved her.

But for the most part, he was selfish. Stupidly, naively selfish enough to let her stay and hold on to her even when he knew she was meant to fly away.