06

"what the fuck, are you okay?" evie asked maddy as she saw her walk into the hallways

just as evie reached maddy, so did kat. "what are you, the Unabomber?" kat laughed.

"what are you, a dominatrix?" maddy spoke.

"no." kat looked down.

"i didn't mean for real, bitch." maddy told her.

"obviously." kat nodded. "but seriously, are you okay?"

"yeah, i'm just on my period." maddy answered.

evie furrowed her eyebrows, not convinced. maddy had been on her period hundreds of times before, and had never wore a turtle neck, a jacket and sunglasses.

"okay, bye." kat spoke, and evie waved as they all parted.

as evie continued to walk to her first class, and sat down, she wondered about maddy.

maddy usually didn't keep much secrets, but evie just didn't believe her.

and, as about an hour or so passed, and evie was called to the office, she had gotten even more confused.

"evie, what do you know about maddy perez and nate jacobs at the carnival a few days ago?"

evie furrowed her eyebrows, "um— they were there..."

"do you know about them fighting?"

"they argue a lot." evie shrugged.

"has nate ever physically hurt her?"

"i don't think so. it wouldn't surprise me, though." evie answered. "why are you asking me about this, anyway?"

"maddy passed out on class earlier, and there was bruising on her neck."

evie raised her eyebrows, immediately shaking her head.

she knew maddy had been lying. and the principal was most likely right, about nate.

"nate jacobs is an asshole." evie shrugged, "he probably did do it."

_________________________

"you came home late."

evie groaned as she walked in her house, shutting the front door and attempting to run to her room, only to be stopped by her mom.

"evie!"

"i was at the carnival, i told you this." evie spoke, slowly walking into the kitchen where her mother stood.

"and you said you'd be home by nine." her mother pointed, as evie sat down.

evie didn't feel like trying to come up with an excuse on why she had came home closer to eleven, than nine. so she only sighed, "i'm sorry."