028

Elliot listened to his now close friend, rant over the phone

Elliot listened to his now close friend, rant over the phone. his phone was on speaker while he rolled a blunt, his mouth slightly parted as he breathed through it, listening closely to the things Evie was telling him.

He ran his tongue over his bottom lip, before his eyebrows furrowed and his face scrunched as Evie continued. he cut her off, shaking his head in confusion. "Evie, why are you overthinkin this so much all of a sudden?"

Elliot didn't know if something had happened between the two that she just hadn't mentioned, or if Evie was just overthinking everything out of nowhere. about a week ago, the girl was talking about Ashtray completely different than she was now.

The way her face lit up, and the way her cheeks would get slightly pink and her voice would her higher.. Elliot was sure she was in love with him. and that's why it confused him on how she was talking about him now.

"i don't know.. i just—" Elliot heard a brief pause from Evie, before hearing her let out a breath. "i just feel like whatever we have goin on, isn't gonna work."

Elliot pursed his lips, rolling the blunt in between his fingers before lighting it.

"he's too different, from me." Evie spoke, although her tone seemed a little hesitant, as if she was trying to convince herself.

Elliot blew out smoke, watching it float in the air. "i feel like you run away from things when they happen. like, some kinda avoidant thing." he spoke, his voice a little strained.

"you like, overthink a lot and make yourself believe everything's worse than what it is." he continued to try and explain, before shrugging. "i don't know."

Evie listened to him speak, biting onto her lip. his words didn't help, because now she was wondering if he was right. did she run away from her problems? did she overthink too much? was she avoidant?

She played with the strings of her sweatpants, listening to Elliot blow out smoke and occasionally cough. "i mean, you said it's been like three days since you've talked to him.. that's avoiding him."

Evie let out a huff, throwing her head back and running her hands over her face. "maybe i do." she spoke quietly.

Evie and Elliot said their goodbyes, before Evie shut off her phone with a sigh. she grabbed the remote on the table in front of her, scrolling to find something to watch before jumping as her phone rung again. she expected it to be Elliot, maybe having something else to tell her or something, but she paused as she read Ashtrays name in bold letters.

She thought about what Elliot had said, and debated if she should continue to avoid Ashtrays texts and calls— but before she got a chance to decide, the ringing had stopped.

She clicked her tongue, turning back to the television before hearing loud knocks at her door. her lips folding into a line, as she was sure she knew who was at the door.

Almost as slowly as possible, she got up and walked to the front door. she let out a breath of air, before rolling her eyes as she felt she was being over dramatic. she opened the door, being met with Ashtrays who's face was, like always, serious. although, he looked a little stressed out.

"hi—" Evie started, but cut herself off as Ashtrays pushed passed her and walked in her home. her face scrunched, rolling her eyes and she slowly followed behind him.

Ashtray leaned against the couch, and Evie stood in front of him. "why you avoidin me, Evie?"

Evie pursed her lips, "what?"

Ashtray rolled his eyes, "nah, don't lie. you haven't answered me in three days, Evie."

Evie didn't exactly know what to say, and she felt stupid for only standing there and biting on her lip. she walked over to the couch, sitting down. Ashtray quickly followed, sitting next to her.

"what's up?" he spoke, his eyes squinted as he watched her avoid eye contact.

Evie stayed quiet, trying to find a right way to tell him how she felt.

"is it Cortez? was y'all.. like, friends?" Ashtray spoke, Evie quickly whipping her head towards him with a bored look. "no, Ashtray."

Ashtray rolled his eyes, "so what, ma? talk to me."

Evie felt a little surprised that Ashtray was communicating as much as he was. he usually said short things, small apologies.

"he isn't dead." Ashtray spoke after Evie continued to stay silent. Evie glanced at him, watching as he nodded to let her know he was telling the truth. "neither of them."

Evie turned her body towards him, "what happened at the house, ash?"

"a fight." Ashtray told her, watching as her eyes squinted like she didn't believe him. "he tried somethin on me, i didn't let him. that's all."

Ashtrays eyes moved down to Evies hands, he watched as she played with the bracelet he had gave her, which let him know she was nervous.. and she usually did that when she was stressed or nervous. "you gon tell me why you've been ignoring me, now?"

Evie blew out air, before putting her head back. "i don't know, i just feel like everything— like, mouse, custer, new years, braylee, Cortez, Cal— it just all felt like too much." she spoke quietly.

Although Evie hasn't said much, Ashtray was pretty sure he understood. he didn't want her around those things because he was sure it would affect her, and it had.

Ashtray grabbed her arm gently, pulling her closer to him before wrapping his arm around her waist. "i know." he spoke softly.

"i'm sorry you've seen all that. i didn't want you to." he continued, playing with a strand of her hair.

a small smile formed on Evies face. Ashtray was being very affectionate instead of nonchalant, and she liked it. she had missed being around him, and being that close to him.

"you gotta stop ignorin me when things happen, though." he spoke, "we gotta talk about it, ma."

Evie hummed, nodding against his chest. "i know."

"