Chapter 3 - Glade

Song - Radioactive (Imagine Dragons)

"So... we are stuck here?"

"For the moment yes, but the runners are making progress every day," Alby responded to yet another one of my questions.

I had learned a lot in the past thirty minutes. Alby walked me through a large grass area bordered by trees and small makeshift huts and beyond that... massive, towering cement walls. He explained that each month a new 'greenie' appears in the box with more supplies. He said that the area we lived in was called 'The Glade', and we called ourselves 'Gladers'. He said that no one remembers anything from their past lives, and now that we were in the Glade together, we must look out for one another. He told me the three rules of the Glade. One, do your part. Two, never hurt another Glader. And three, never leave the Glade. It all seemed a bit far-fetched to be honest but as he told me the three rules, he looked at me deadly serious. We sat on this wooden lookout tower made from tree logs which didn't exactly seem safe. I swung my legs back and forth over the edge.

"But... what is out there? What are they making progress on?" I asked him while looking out to the small entranceway leading out beyond the walls.

He shook his head, staring at his feet.

"Another time, right now I need to give you a tour. Come on." Alby got up and started going down the ladder.

I sighed. I felt like there was something that people not telling me. I needed to find out what.

The tour was generally uneventful. We had gotten to the bottom of the tower and Alby called Newt over. Apparently, Alby had stuff to do so Newt would show me around.

He showed me the deadheads, kitchens, gardens, homestead, and a whole lot of other boring stuff. He asked me if I would prefer to sleep in the homestead or outside and the thought of sleeping in this tight space surrounded by forty or so boys made me feel positively sick, so I said outside. He seemed to understand my thoughts as he nodded slowly. Newt was nice. He seemed a little bit more considerate than Alby. Probably why they made him second in command. His soft charm and gentle smile gave this warm feeling. I enjoyed his presence. It was nice to just be around him so I tried to stick close to him all day. 

I saw Thomas again; he was chopping wood with a few other boys. He smiled at me, or maybe just at Newt as we passed. Newt and Thomas seemed especially close compared to the other boys. They shared many glances and secret smiles. The other boys looked at me funny. I understand they probably haven't seen a woman in a long time, but the way they stared, snickered, and murmured to each other made me feel queasy. My cheeks turned red, and my mouth went dry. Thomas told them to cut it out. That made me smile.  

We finished up the tour at the med-hut again. Clint was there trying to coax another boy on a makeshift bed to drink something. He smiled up at us through his soft curls.

"What's the matter with him?" Newt asked.

"Probably just a cold, but there isn't a whole lot of stuff to work with in here."

I stare at the boy on the bed.

Sweat beads on his forehead. Rosy Cheeks. Yet was shivering and had goosebumps on his arms. Must be a temperature. A poorly bandaged hand. The blood had turned brown on the bandage.

I moved to the boy and gently grasped his wrist. He flinched but I didn't stop. I slowly unwrapped his bandage. Clint and Newt just watched. Underneath lay a minor cut but it had grown yellowy and gunky.

"I think it's infected... and that's why he has a temperature," I murmured quietly.

I stood up and headed to a bench top filled with assortments of dried plants and herbs. I noticed a few cloves of wild garlic. I peeled one and used a mortar and pestle to mash it into a paste. I scooped the remnants from the bowl on a spoon and grabbed a fresh damp cloth. Only after sitting down beside the boy, did I stop. I looked up to Clint and then Newt.

"Go ahead." Newt breathed, sounding amused.

I used the damp cloth to carefully wipe away any gunk from the cut. I heard someone enter the med hut behind me, but I didn't turn. A voice I recognized as Gally started to ask Newt something, he shushed him. Ignoring the pair, I carefully spread the garlic paste over the cut.

"It may sting a little," I murmured. His response was a loud hiss.

I tightly rewrapped the cut with a fresh bandage. I ignored the steady gazes from everyone in the room except one as I looked up at the boy on the bed. Whose eyes were fixed on his hand. He was still sweating. I quickly stand up.

"Basil leaves in water will bring the fever down. And just a damp cloth on his forehead." I murmured before swallowing loudly.

"How do you know all this?" Clint asked, eyes wide.

I was taken aback by the question. I hadn't really thought about what I was doing. It felt like common sense but maybe... maybe it's just stored knowledge.

"I don't know, I guess it's just muscle memory." I breathed.

"Well, I guess we have found your new job," Newt announced coming to stand beside me and put his hand on my shoulder with a wide grin.

"You can start tomorrow, but right now, let's get you settled." He continued. I turned around to follow him and as I did, I saw Gally's back leaving the hut.

                                                         ------------------------------------------

A small boy, probably only eleven or twelve, who had light brown curls, a plump, round face, and rosy cheeks, waited for me leaning against a tree. I smiled at him as I walked up.

"Hi! I'm Chuck. What's your name?" he asked me enthusiastically while extending his hand to shake mine. I gave him my hand but shook my head.

"I don't remember yet."

"Oh! That's fine. Some people take days to remember."

I smiled softly again and his cheeks turned red, so he quickly turned around and murmured something about following him. He led me to a row of hammocks that were strung between wooden posts under a handmade roof.

"This is your bed. Mine is just there and Thomas's is on the other side of yours. Newt told me to tell you that and that to not worry because if anything happens, I'll be here to protect you. And also Thomas." He explained, talking rather fast.

He pointed to a small stack of items on my bed.

"There are some things for you. When you came up there was a special box just for you. I think it's got a few different clothes and things," he explained.

"Thanks, Chuck."

He grinned one last time before disappearing into the trees. I sat on the hammock and looked over what I was given. An extra long-sleeved white T-shirt (an exact replica of what I was already wearing), an extra pair of socks to go with my black boots, a water canteen, a gold compass, and a metal lighter. But why would I need a compass? Not like I'm going anywhere. No jacket. No underwear. No extra pants. So, I guess I'm stuck with the green cargos I woke up with. I sat and watched as the late afternoon slowly turned to dusk. I took a swig of water and pocketed the compass and lighter into one of the many pockets on my pants. In that moment I promised myself one thing.

I was going to survive this.