Chapter 5 - Eleanor

Song - Hall of Fame (The Script)

I awoke to a hand over my mouth. I gasped and was about to react when I saw Alby looking over me with his finger to his lips telling me to shush. I breathed a sigh of relief.

Before I knew it, I was walking over the grass at the crack of dawn to a secluded section of wall I hadn't noticed before. It was tucked between a few trees and bushes. And this wall held names. Names carved into the cement. I could see Thomas, Gally, Newt, and Alby. And so many more. A few had lines carved through the middle, and I didn't want to ask what happened to them.

"What is this?" I asked instead.

Alby turned to face me and spoke softly.

"Look around. Do you see the peace? The serenity? It wasn't always like that. We've lost a lot of boys to fear and panic. When they thought there would never be an escape. But... we've come a long way since then. We've established order."

He put both his hands on either of my shoulders, looking me dead in the eye. I didn't deter my gaze.

"I know you're different. You're ambitious. Determined. Smart. Qualities that will make you a great Glader. But you need to know what that means. You're one of us now. Anything you remember. Any pictures or faces... must be forgotten. I know it's different for you. I have no clue what you're going through but I will use whatever power I hold against these boys to protect you. Okay?"

I nodded slowly taking in his words. He put a dagger in my palm and closed my fingertips around it. I stared at the blade before clearing my throat.

"What is beyond the walls Alby? The best way to protect me is to tell me the truth," I pleaded.

He sighed.

"A maze." He murmured.

"What?"

"A deadly and unforgiving maze filled with the most vile creatures on earth. It changes every night. Rearranges itself. For the past three years, we've mapped it and tried to find a way out. We're close. But the only people in and out are the runners. Minho, Ben, and a few others. I suspect Newt already told you that you are forbidden from entering but I think now... you would understand why no one wants to go into the maze. Do you understand?"

"Yes, I do." I breathed.

"Good, then get to it." He said motioning to the wall.

I took a few steps closer. I traced my finger around Gally's name, then Thomas, then Newt. I found a perfect gap. Just below Minho, slightly to the right of Alby, and above Thomas. I took my time to carve 'Eleanor' on the wall. Once I finished, I took a step back and admired my handiwork. I took a deep breath before turning to face Alby who wore a tired, but kind smile.

------------------------------------------------------

It had been a slow morning. After my little chat with Alby, I headed back to my hammock and found everyone already up and working. I ate breakfast with Newt and Thomas and then got to work in the med hut. Winston had sliced his hand open yet again so I wrapped him up pretty quick. There wasn't much else to be done so Newt said I could lend a hand in the garden. It was nice. Newt and I chatted away while tending to the fruits and vegetables as if we weren't trying to survive in the middle of a death maze. I guess that's the beauty of the Glade. Our own little paradise. I think Alby and Newt must have fought hard to make it this way.

"Wait so what are they called again?" I asked while dumping a shovel of fertilizer into a patch of carrots growing.

"Grievers. Nasty things they are. Not that anyone's seen one and lived to tell the tale." Newt explained.

"So, no one knows what they look like?" I confirmed.

"Nope."

"So, for all we know they could be like, the cutest things ever?"

"Just wait until you hear one tonight and then I think you'll be thinking otherwise." He responded.

I scoffed,

"I doubt-"

"Hey Newt, one of the roofs of the kitchen broke. I was gonna fix it, but Frypan told me to ask you if we can use some of the reserved metal hardware because it keeps breaking."

I spun to see Gally standing a few feet behind me, looking at Newt. His eyes flickered in my direction before turning back to Newt.

Newt sighed,

"You'll need to talk to Alby because he always says they're off limits unless needed for emergencies,"

"That's what I told Frypan, but he sent me over here because he's busy but anyway I just think-"

"What is that?" I ask Gally pointing at his hand that remained tense on his side.

"Huh? Oh, I cut it this morning," he explained with a puzzled expression.

"Well, it looks pretty deep. You need to get cleaned up all it will get infected. Why didn't you go see Clint?" I ask him, putting my hands on my hips.

"I was busy, and I don't have time for-" he started before I interrupted.

"Come on I'll get you cleaned up," I said while grabbing his wrist and pulling him towards the med hut. I saw from the corner of my eye Gally turning back to Newt with a 'What the fuck just happened?' face, his eyebrows raising even more than normal. And I could almost picture exactly the shrug Newt would respond with, meaning 'Don't look at me, how am I supposed to know?'.

-----------------------------------------------

Gally hissed as I wiped away any sign of infection from his hand. I had gotten him to sit up on the bench as I stood working.

"Well if you stopped moving it won't hurt as much," I said rolling my eyes.

"Well maybe if you were gentler we wouldn't be having this problem," he snarked back.

I ignored him and prepared the garlic paste. While smearing it onto the cut, I muttered,

"This is going to sting like a bitch,"

"Shit!" he groaned while looking up to the roof with a pained expression. I chuckled in response much to his disgust as he noticed my smile and smacked me gently on the head with his other hand.

"Hey! I'm the doctor here, you can't do that," he rolled his eyes in response before he looked at me with his intense stare that made me positively melt but I quickly looked down at the bandage. I tried to focus on wrapping up his massive hand, but his rough skin tingled under my touch. I could feel the warmth from his body. Hear his steady breathing.

At that moment I realized how close I was to him. And that if I took half a step forward, I would be standing between his legs dangling over the bench. And I did. As the inside of his knee brushed the side of my thigh, I felt the blood rush to my cheeks and the hair prick up on the back of my neck.

When his hand reached out and gently caressed my hip, I quickly cleared my throat and took a step back. He looked at me confused and I quickly muttered something about needing to get some more things from the forest and that he was free to leave. I turned on my heel and almost sprinted out the door, leaving Gally sitting there staring at my back, puzzled.