Chapter 13 - Interrogation

Song - Angel of Small Death & The Codeine Scene (Hozier)

He looked so peaceful when he was sleeping. Brown hair covering his face. Newt sat beside him clutching his hand. Newt hasn't moved an inch since we placed Thomas on the small couch. Even as Jorge strapped Marcus to a chair and began interrogating... and not in the most civil manner.

I sat on the other side of Tom, beside Minho, watching the steady rise and fall of his chest.

I spied Brenda and Frypan in the corner of the room, watching the events unfold between Jorge and Marcus. Fry murmured something into her ear and Brenda had to physically cover her mouth to stop her from bursting into laughter. Aris sat quietly on a chair staring out the window.

And Teresa...

She stood motionless staring vaguely into the abyss. I swallowed at the sight of her, I needed to talk to her because we haven't properly since the Scorch before Winston...

I pushed the thought out of my mind as I stood up. I answered Minho and Newt's questioning eyes by flicking my eyes to Teresa and back to them. They nodded in response. I wanted to stay with Thomas, but I don't think I'll have another chance to speak to Teresa. Let alone Newt. My heart was telling me to talk to Newt now because we hadn't spoken since he snapped which of course isn't his fault because he was worried about Thomas... but my brain told me I needed to talk to Teresa first.

As I passed Teresa, I gently brushed my hand against her wrist and motioned my head outside to the balcony. She stared at me for a moment before nodding and following me outside.

I rested my arms on the balcony's ledge. She stood a meter away from me, stiff like cardboard.

"What's going on Teresa?" I sighed, looking out at the view of the destroyed city.

"What do you mean? She whispered without looking me in the eye.

"Well last time we talked properly you said you wanted to go back to Wicked and implied that all this is our fault," I scoffed.

That made her go quiet. She stared at her feet while fiddling with her fingers.

"Tess... you do know that wicked isn't good... we didn't have a choice? What were we doing... was for the best?" I murmured.

Another pause before she finally spoke,

"How is that for the best?" She whispered.

"What?"

"Do you really think that just saving our handful of friends is for the best?" She muttered.

"It wasn't just us-" I started,

"When we could be saving millions of lives by helping them find a cure?" She hissed.

"There is no cure! Don't you remember? In the years we worked there we made basically no progress instead we watched hundreds of kids, including some of our friends die. Wicked's ways are barbaric. That's why we did it. To save our generation... The immunes... We shouldn't be sacrificed for any older generations," I breathed.

She stood silently for a few moments, perhaps mulling over my words or just coming up with another argument. Then she cleared her throat,

"Yeah... I guess you're right. I just... want to do the right thing," She murmured.

I sighed,

"I know, this is all so damn hard. We shouldn't have to deal with this but... I guess we had to make this choice. And yes, me and Thomas made this one but... there is no going back now. We just have to roll with it and to be honest, I would follow Thomas anywhere. So, if he says run, then I'm going to fucking run," I chuckled softly.