Chapter 8 - Rose

Song - I Wanna Be Yours (Arctic Monkeys)

"Um... sorry to interrupt but am I missing something here? Who is this person?" Brenda asked.

Gally placed me back down on the ground, which was a lot further down than I remembered as Gally had grown at least another foot.

He didn't let me go of my middle as he gazed down at me with a smile. I didn't deter my gaze from his eyes as I responded,

"He's uh... he's... he's-"

"An old friend," Fry replied for me in disbelief.

"How are you... how are you here? I thought you were..." I trailed off at the end, not wanting to finish my sentence.

"No, I got picked up by this group of rebels heading to the city, raiding what was left of the Wicked compound outside the maze," Gally turned to the others, still not letting go of me. He motioned out to the dozens of rebel soldiers all around us "They patched me up and brought me here... the ones you just threatened to kill," He chuckled,

I looked around as their offensive fighting stances started to relax.

"Oh... sorry about that," I cringed. Some muttered responses before they went back to some sort of regulatory.

Gally turned back, gazing down at me intensely.

"What are you doing here?" he murmured.

I opened my mouth to respond but was interrupted,

"Minho..." Newt answered. Gally turned to look at him as my brother continued, "Wicked has him here... and we're looking for a way in,"

Gally glanced at me and then back at the others.

"I can help with that... follow me,"

The others didn't move. Thomas shook his head.

"I'm not going anywhere with you," He growled.

"Thomas," I murmured.

His gaze flickered to me as I moved closer to him.

"Please..."

Thomas shook his head roughly,

I looked at Newt asking for support, but Newt also looked skeptical.

"I know you don't trust me... and I'm not asking you to, but if Minho is in there then I hope you know that I would do anything I can to help him... and I can get you through those walls..." Gally pleaded.

"For Minho?" I repeated hopefully.

Newt and Thomas shared a look. Newt shrugged his shoulders. I smiled because I knew what the census was.

It was surreal to be walking beside Gally.

"Once they found me and realized I was immune, they patched me up and brought me here, to Lawrence," Gally explained while leading us down a ramp taking us lower into the base. I walked next to him; he was so close I felt his arm brush my skin every couple of strides. 

I savored the tiny acts of affection. Newt, Tom, and the others walked behind us.

"This group's been at war with Wicked ever since they took control of the city. But Wicked can't hide behind those walls forever. Days gonna come and they're gonna pay for what they've done,"

He glanced at me, and I gave him a side smile before he came to a halt.

"Wait, so... you've been here the whole time?" I asked him quietly as the others stopped behind us.