Chapter 18 - Destruction

Song - O Children (Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds)

 I slowly turned to face the creatures creeping out of the maze, too terrified to run.

The creatures that appeared were like something out of children's nightmares.

Something in between a machine and an animal. The screeches from the creature a mix of metal whirring and animal screeching.

A spider.

A spider two meters tall, three meters wide, with thousands of rows of razor-sharp teeth, and some sort of goo dripping from its flesh.

"All right, everybody hide! Go, go! Run!" Thomas screamed, immediately all the boys scattered.

I couldn't tear my eyes away from the creatures. Fear freezing me in my place. They were moving closer, climbing up the walls, their metal claws leaving scratches in the cement.

Gally grabbed my wrist,

"Ellie, come on!" He yelled while pulling me along, breaking my trance.

I broke into a sprint between Tom and Gally, heading for the corn fields. I turned back, scanning the grass for any signs of Newt, Minho, or Frypan. I couldn't see any of my friends. That may be a good thing.

We reached the tall grass, and I scurried in after Thomas, Gally stepping in behind me. Zart and a few others already cowering in the grass. Screams of terror coming from nearby boys were drowned out by the sounds of crashing buildings and Griever's screeches.

We knelt. Gally basically on top of me. His eyes scanned the sky, and the nearby grass. The growling went deathly quiet. For comfort, I gently touched the outside of my pocket and could feel the knife still safely tucked inside. Probably wouldn't do too much damage to one of the grievers but it still made me feel slightly better. Maybe it was the fact that Gally had given it too me. 

And then I saw it. A metal whirring tentacle towering over the corn. Gally's grasp around me now becoming bone-crushing tight. Its claws stretched out, calculating its next hit. That being right onto Zart.

"Zart!" I screeched before Gally put his hand over my mouth. I watched the blonde boy scream in terror as he was dragged away from the group.

Thomas and the others scurried to their feet. Gally heaved me up and we were off again.

"Go, go! Get to the village!" Thomas yelled frantically as we left the field and ran onto the grass.

I was following after Thomas for the council hall when Gally dragged me back behind a hut.

"What are you doing?" I yelled frantically,

"I know where we can hide, just follow me!" He pleaded starting to pull me with him. I snatched my wrist out of his grasp.

"What? No, I'm not leaving the others!" I screamed in his face.

"Eleanor! What good will it do if you are dead too?" He hissed putting his hand on my shoulders.

"I don't care! I am not leaving the boys!" I insisted.

"I am not losing you too!" He yelled, face scrunching in terror and tears filling his eyes.

"Gal, you're not going to lose me! Okay? Let's go!" I roared while grabbing his hand and pulling him back into the chaos.

We sprinted, Gally's hand on my back, for the council hall. I saw Thomas waiting at the entrance,

"Ella, Gally come on!" I saw how his eyes widened in terror as he looked behind us. I risked a peak and what I saw almost sent me to my knees in fear. A griever barely ten meters behind us. Galloping.