Chapter 16 - Brother

Song - Welcome Home, Son (Radical Face)

Only once Sonya and Harriet had given us all warmer clothes, a meal of rice, and a stew that resembled something like Frypan's stew back in the Glade, and we were seated by a fire did I finally remember my plan.

It was when I was softly clarifying everything revealed to Fry and reassuring him that Brenda was in safe hands, that I looked up for a split second and caught Newt's eye. He smiled warmly at me, genuine happiness, which I had not seen for a long time, lighting up his face. And for a split second, I saw my mother. He looks just like her. Same eyes. Same broad smile and narrow face. I thought I looked more like my dad. Toothy grin, hazel eyes, and round face. 

But in that moment, I remembered every moment I almost lost him. And the first thought each time was that he would have never known. And I don't think I could have lived with myself if that happened. So I excused myself from the conversation with Fry, cleared my throat, and came up to Newt and Minho,

"Newt?"

Both looked up at me,

"Yeah El?" Newt responded.

"Can we talk... alone?"

I cringed at the face of surprise from Minho. Newt looked at me with concern and then at Minho.

"Yeah, sure," 

Newt stood up from his seat and followed me to a side of the camp where only one or two people milled around. I grabbed his hand and pulled him behind a massive rock. On our other side, we had the most beautiful view of the mountain range beyond. He looked at them in awe for a few moments but I just looked at his face. The way his eyes lighted up when he saw something beautiful. The way his rare grins could light up a room. I realized that I had never felt like this about someone since... Gally.

He turned to face me, catching my stares. His eyes quickly filled with concern,

"You okay El?"

I opened my mouth to respond but words did not find me. I quickly glanced at my feet,

"Um..." I murmured eyes starting to brim with tears. There were so many things I wanted to say... but I didn't know where to start.

Newt closed the gap between us, wrapping me into a tight, warm hug.

"Hey, hey, tell me El. You know you can tell me anything?" He reassured. I swallowed and pulled away to face him again. As our eyes locked together I could see me. Me in him. And him in me. I took a shaky breath. I could do this. I had to.

"Newt... I haven't been completely honest with you..." I didn't continue.

"Yes?" He encouraged. 

"Back at the Wicked compound... you know how I got my memories back, right?"

He nodded.

"Well, while the process was happening I was in a dream-like state but all the dreams were memories. I remembered everything from right before being sent into the maze to all the way back to my childhood. I remember my parents... I remember my brother,"

His eyes widened but I knew he still was not getting what I was saying,

"El where are you going with this?" He questioned.

"Newt..."

In that moment I think he finally understood because he was completely still. His eyes flashed with shock and confusion. And then they filled with tears.

"Ella... are you saying that..."

I ran into his arms and wrapped myself around him as I sobbed into his shoulder. I also felt his own tears falling onto my shoulder where he had buried his face into.

One Of Us - A Gally, Maze Runner Fan FictionOn viuen les histories. Descobreix ara