Chapter 16 - Go

Song - People of the Pride (Coldplay)

"Come on, let's go," Thomas urged. 

The five of us sprinted away from the Wicked compound in a tight group. The sirens had taken over the entire city now. I got a sick feeling in my stomach that was telling me something bad was about to happen.

I didn't notice when Newt started to lag behind. Only once I heard somebody trip and fall behind me did I see my brother coughing violently on the ground,

"Newt!" Tom yelled while falling to his knees at his side.

"It's fine, I'm okay-"

Newt vomited up a black liquid. Gally's eyes filled with dread. He knew... he knew what was going on.

I fell to the ground beside Thomas.

"What is going on? I know you guys aren't telling me something!"

Newt's eyes filled with remorse.

His pupils were massive. And the whites of his eyes were now red. Against the moonlight, his pale skin almost looked transparent. Except now I could see close enough and notice the black veins creeping up his neck, making their way up his jaw. His breathing was ragged...

Oh my god.

How did I not notice before?

Newt slowly lifted up his arm sleeve to reveal the bulging purply black veins that had consumed the outside of his skin.

I put my hand over my mouth.

I searched for the right words. But no words could possibly comfort this boy. He didn't have much time. We needed that serum.

I swallowed,

"Why didn't you tell me?" I whispered.

He let out a long raggedy breath,

"I didn't want you to worry,"

My eyes brimmed with tears but I closed them tightly to stop them from falling. I stood up.

"Come on, we have to get to Brenda..."

Thomas and I helped Newt stand. Minho and Tom propped my brother between them. And we ushed forward once again.

Helicopters with spotlights whirred somewhere above us as we made our way as fast as we could through the city. Thomas slid behind a cement barricade and we copied, finally taking a breath.

Newt's chest heaved up and down rapidly and he looked forward into nothing, eyes distant and blurred over.

Minho and I on either side of him glanced at each other.

Thomas and Gally talked in murmurs on the barricade a few meters away so we couldn't hear them.

I shouldn't have let the kid keep the serum. If I hadn't, Newt would be fine. I'm an idiot.

Newt dissolved in a fit of hacking coughs.

Minho knelt in front of Newt,

"Newt, how are you feeling?" he asked earnestly.

"Terrible.... It's good to see you though," Newt smiled softly.

Minho smiled weakly as my brother slapped him on the shoulder. Minho moved over to the others, but I sat beside Newt.

He laughed airily,

"How do we always find ourselves in these situations El?"

I swallowed and put on a weak smile,