Chapter 6 - Kidnapped

Song - Believer (Imagine Dragons)

"Stay close," Thomas murmured to Newt and I walking behind him. 

We pushed through the hectic streets of the outskirts of the city. People walked in every direction. Some friendlier than others. I was shoved to the side at least three times, putting me off balance especially because of my ankle. Thankfully it hadn't swollen up too much but it still ached.

I shoved right back even harder, but Tom told me to keep moving. We needed to keep a low profile. And starting another riot wasn't exactly that.

People also sat on the edge of the narrow street; some lay on the ground. I hoped they were sleeping. I doubted it with the dozens of trucks carrying body bags.

I glanced behind me to see Fry basically glued to Brenda's side, glaring down any person who got too close to her.

That was the first time I had ever seen Frypan glare.

Jorge was also glaring. Not at the strangers around us, but at Frypan. He didn't seem to notice.

Jorge cleared his throat,

"This place has really gone through hell," He muttered to Thomas while moving past us to walk with the boy.

"We just gotta stay together-" Thomas replied before being interrupted by a loud booming voice over a speaker behind us,

"We are the voice, of the voiceless!"

We all spun around to see a parade of trucks heading our way, so we moved to the side with the rest of the crowd.

"They hide behind their walls, thinking they can keep the cure for themselves! While they watch the rest of us wither and rot!"

A group of men dressed in soldiers' uniforms and face masks sat on top of the roofs of the trucks. The crowd started to cheer as they drove past.

And as the first car passed in front of us I saw-

Wait.

No. It couldn't be. Don't be dumb. It's just your eyes playing tricks.

Although, the soldier who caught my eye did sit straight up as a pin when he seemed to be looking at me. I followed his gaze.

He turned around to one of the soldiers and exchanged a few expressive words while pointing at us. But the car was moving fast, and he already was twenty meters away and I lost sight of the car in the crowd.

"And I say, we rise up and take back what is ours! Let's bring back a victory!" The voice boomed causing the entire street to erupt in dangerous cheers.

We watched the crowds starting to follow behind the trucks.

Thomas looked at us all, grabbed Newt's hand, and said,

"Come on, let's go," before pulling Newt along and following the people.

We came to the end of the city where there was a hundred-metre wasteland of nothing... before the wall. The walls would have been the biggest things I'd ever seen if it weren't for the skyscrapers towering over it... putting the walls of the maze to shame.

The people had congregated in a riot and were screaming together,

"Let us in! Let us in!"

We started pushing to the front of the crowd, following Thomas.

"Thomas! This is not what you're looking for. You think out of all these people trying to find their way in, you're gonna find something they can't?" Jorge yelled at Thomas.