Chapter 12 - Traitor

Song - Back To Black (Amy Winehouse)

"You sure you wanna do this?" Gally sighed.

"You really think Teresa will follow you?" Newt asked.

"No... no she won't follow me. But I have a hunch... that she'll follow Thomas," I answered.

That's how I ended up waiting with Brenda for the boys to return with Teresa. We sat in the room we had met in before. I sat on the table and Brenda leaned against the wall.

"So... that's the Gally?" Brenda asked disapprovingly.

I chuckled airily,

"What? Not your type?"

She shook her head firmly,

"Fuck no,"

"What is your type if Gally is so below your league?"

She smirked,

"That's my business,"

"Not ready to come to terms with the whole Fry thing I guess then?"

I smiled cheekily.

She rolled her eyes but still didn't say anything.

"My prediction was correct," I muttered but still loud enough for her to hear.

She just smiled to herself.

"What are you gonna do when you see Teresa?" She asked folding her arms across her chest.

My smile dropped.

If I'm being completely honest... I had no clue.

I hated her. I did.

But it felt like the boys were kidnapping a different version of her. Not the one who betrayed us. Betrayed me. They were bringing the girl who was one of my best friends since I was a child.

The girl with the shoulder I used to cry on. And the girl who cried on mine.

The girl I used to whisper secrets to on my top bunk in the wicked compound.

And although I would never admit it... part of me hoped that maybe, just maybe she might change her mind about everything.

I sighed,

"I don't know,"

We sat in silence for a few minutes before she sighed,

"But seriously... I'm glad this Gally guy is alive... it seems like he means a lot to you,"

I nodded and smiled to myself.

Of course... now that he's back, all my problems disappear right?

Not exactly.

For some reason, I couldn't seem to shake the ever-growing emptiness in my stomach. Like it was being consumed by a black hole. No feelings left where they should be. It was concerning. Like I knew something in my brain wasn't right. But I just couldn't seem to figure out what.

"I think that-"

"Hey! Guys, they're back. They have her in the church next door," Fry appeared in the doorway. 

Newt whipped off the bag over Teresa's head. She blinked rapidly to register the light. And the seven faces glaring at her. She ran her eyes over every one of us. Except me. She completely avoided my gaze. But seemed to stay extra long on Thomas.