Chapter 17 - Time

Song - War Of Hearts (Ruelle)

"All right. Newt, we're almost there!" Gally assured as we headed down an alley between two streets. The explosions now surrounded us, but we kept moving.

"Just leave me," Newt's voice croaked softly behind me and Gally.

BOOM!

A flaming car rolled down the street in front of us and exploded into another car

We all fell back from the force onto the ground.

"Back! Get back!" Gally ordered from the front. We pressed ourselves against the side of the alley as we watched another hoard of screaming rebels power through the street.

Suddenly, we heard the sound of an engine humming. We looked up and saw a Wicked cruiser flying slowly overhead.

"Okay, that's them. It's them, we gotta go," Thomas urged, about to help Newt up,

Newt refused to move,

"Go without me," he croaked before bending over and vomiting up more black liquid,

He slowly sat back up gasping for air. He closed his eyes and put his head back, making small whimpering sounds with every breath he took.

Thomas's eyes were something I had never seen before.

They were brimmed with tears of horror but completely and utterly desperate. He swallowed and took a deep breath,

"Ella... Minho... you gotta run ahead and grab the serum and get back to us as soon as you can," he murmured.

I didn't register what he was asking at first.

I just kept staring into Newt's almost lifeless face, clutching his hand even tighter. I felt Tom's hand on my shoulder as he pulled me to face him, "El... go get the serum and meet us back,"

I shook my head desperately,

"I can't leave him..."

I looked back at Newt. I had the awful feeling that if I left, I would never talk to my brother again.

"Ellie... he's right, I can cover," Gally offered.

I can make it.

I just gotta run really fucking fast,

I stood up and Gally and Minho did the same.

"We'll be right back," I promised to both Newt and Tom.

Newt grabbed Minho and I's hands,

"Thank you...." He whispered breathlessly, "Thank you,"

I ignored every message my brain was sending me to stay. And every emotion doing the same. I turned and sprinted out of that alley faster than I ever had before.

The roaring gunshots, screams, and explosions were drowned out in my ears with every breath I took.

I didn't think about anything around me.

Just that I wasn't going fast enough. I needed to go faster. Push harder.

I think I heard Minho and Gally's shouts behind me, telling me to slow down and wait for cover.

I couldn't be sure though.

I turned a corner and was met with a Wicked soldier in a mask heading in the opposite direction. He jumped back.

"Hey! Over here I found one-"

BANG!

I shot the man in the chest with my shotgun, before running past him without another thought.