Chapter 21 - Awake

Song - The Night We Met (Lord Huron)

Thomas

I never minded pain.

I had felt all sorts of pain in my life.

So, when I woke up from what felt like a nightmare... my first thought wasn't the constant drumming in my head. All the hollow ache in the left side of my stomach.

Only one thought remained constant.

One face.

One name.

"Newt,"

My throat was raw making my voice scratchy. As my eyes started to adjust, I saw I was in a large tent. Its doors flapping in a gentle breeze.

And I could hear... the ocean.

Waves.

My first thought was heaven. I wouldn't be surprised if I was dead. Is this what the afterlife is like? Because at first glance it seemed nice.

"Tommy..."

I turned my head to see a figure standing a few meters in front of my bed.

Blonde hair. Soft cheeky grin. And chocolate brown eyes.

My boyfriend.

"Newt..."

Even where he stood so far away from my touch, I felt the burning longing. Every slight fiddle of his hands or sniffle of his nose made me fall in love with this boy all over again.

He smirked his signature toothy grin.

I smiled broadly. He made his way to the bed before sitting on the side next to me. I sat up on my elbows, placing my hands around his waist.

He brushed a piece of hair away from my face, his touch making my cheeks go warm.

"Hi..." he whispered with a smile, rubbing his thumb along my jawline.

"Hi..." I responded back, cocking my head to the side.

"I missed you,"

He leaned down and brushed his lips softly against mine. I sat up completely, pulling him closer into my arms.

"So, are we in..." I started to ask, looking around the room before trailing off,

"Safe haven? Yep,"

Newt turned to completely face me,

"How long have you been awake for?" I asked, tucking some of his blonde hair behind his ear.

"Only a few minutes longer than you... I haven't seen anyone else yet. I wanted to see you,"

He took my hands. I looked down at them. His were... completely back to normal.

"So... your..." I started,

"Cured? Yeah, thanks to you and El... completely crank-free," he chuckled weakly.

I gazed at him, taking in every tiny detail of his face. His dimples, the curve of his jaw, chocolate eyes searching mine,

I pulled him into my arms, burrowing my nose into his shoulder. He did the same. I breathed in his scent.

Pine trees and cinnamon. And that distinct Newt smell I remembered from when I first met him in the maze.

"I'm sorry," I whispered, squeezing him even tighter.