Chapter 11 - Waiting

Song - You & I (One Direction)

"Tommy, no!" Newt screamed trying to grasp Thomas's arm and hold him back. I gripped Newt by the wrist and pulled him away from the wall so he wouldn't get squished. Just as the walls shut firmly.

"Shit!" he swore while punching the cement wall. I held his hand firmly as everyone remained fixed on the closed doors before us. Silence fell over the group. No one had any idea of what to do next. No Alby. No Minho. Newt was not moving his forehead off the wall, let alone barking orders. After a few seconds, most of the boys retreated back to camp silently, except me, Gally, Newt, Chuck, Winston, Frypan, and Jeff.

"Come on El, let's go," Gally murmured while grasping my other hand.

"No," I responded firmly. "I'm not leaving them,"

Newt didn't turn from the door. I let go of Gally to stand beside Newt. I put my hand on his shoulder.

"Newt," I whispered. "It's okay. We're not leaving,"

He looked at me and I wrapped him in a tight hug. He folded his arms across my back and I put my hand on the back of his head as he nuzzled into my shoulder.

"It's okay,"

----------------------------------------------

We started a fire right by the door. There wasn't a lot of talking. I sat beside Gally; he had his arm around me. I snuggled up to him, trying to keep warm in the bone-chilling night. Newt was on the other side of me. He hadn't spoken since the doors closed, and I hadn't let go of the grasp I held on his hand.

I tried not to think about Thomas, Minho, and Alby in the maze. Tried to not think about the horrors they may be facing. Or if they are already dead.

"You should go to bed and get some sleep Ellie," Gally whispered into my ear. I looked up at him.

"I- I can't," I stuttered back. "I can't leave them,"

He nodded and hugged me closer to his body. I looked at Newt. His face was hard. No sign of any expression. I gave him a reassuring squeeze and he looked up at me. I smiled weakly and his eyes faltered. I pulled him closer and put my arm around his shoulders. I rested my head back against Gally's chest and eventually must have dozed off.

---------------------------------------------

"Hey guys, get up!" Chuck's voice woke me up from my restless sleep. I quickly snapped my head up. I was on the ground, using Gally's arm as a pillow, my hand still grasping Newt's. The three of us found our feet instantly and rushed to the opening cement walls. I don't know what we expected to see. The three boys running to our outstretched arms... or their dead bodies. But we didn't see either. It was empty.

The other boys released an exhausted breath, before turning back towards the camp. I don't turn with them. Just keep staring at the tiny stretch. Waiting. Hoping.

"Come on El, they're not coming back," Gally said, gently touching my shoulder before heading back to camp. Newt and Chuck remained by my side, searching.

Oh God, please. Please.

Movement at the end of the tunnel sparked hope in my chest.

"No way," Newt murmured.

It was Minho. And Alby. And Thomas.

"Oh my god," I exclaimed, causing all the boys to turn and see the trio coming out of the maze.

"Yeah! Yes," Chuck expressed with triumph. Gally was immediately by my side.

All the boys whoop and cheer. As the trio came closer, I could see Thomas and Minho holding Alby up by his arms. As they came through the doorway, they dropped Alby into Jeff and I's arms before kneeling on the ground catching their breath.

"I got him, I got him," I said while laying him on the ground. I immediately checked his pulse. He's alive.

"He was stung yesterday... the changing is already happening. He doesn't have much time," Minho panted. I nodded in response. All the boys asked Minho and Thomas what happened, and how they were alive, but they didn't respond.

"You saw a Griever?" Chuck asked.

I met eyes with Thomas still bent over Alby.

"Yeah... I saw one,"

I swallowed.

"He didn't just see it... he killed it," Minho revealed, still out of breath.

Everyone looked at Thomas. Some with bewilderment, others with awe. But there wasn't time for this.

"Gally, Frypan, Zart, Jeff, take Alby to the med hut I'll be right behind you," I instructed, breaking everyone out of their trance. They all gathered around and heaved him up before slowly heading to the hut. Most of the others headed back to camp or with Alby to the med hut. It was just Thomas, Minho, Newt and I left at the door.

I looked at Minho and Thomas. They grinned weakly before I pulled them both into a tight hug.

"Are you guys, okay?" I murmured into their ears before pulling away.

"Yeah... we're okay," Thomas breathed.

"Just a few scratches," Minho added.

A weight lifted off my shoulder that had been weighing me down since Thomas left. So then I had room for other emotions.

I whacked them both on the chest and shoulders.

"Ow! What the hell was that for?" Minho whined, rubbing his arm.

"For scaring me you shanks," I fumed. They smiled sheepishly and then I remembered Newt standing behind the boys, waiting.

"Come on Minho, I'll take you back and clean up those cuts. I'll meet you there Thomas," I said while grabbing Minho by the shoulder and steering him away. As we walked to the med hut Minho murmured in my ear,

"So, you've figured it out too?" he asked.

"Like, as if they actually do a good job at keeping it a secret," I giggled.

"Hah! So true," He laughed.

I turned my head just enough to see out of the corner of my eye Thomas and Newt gripping each other as if they would never ever let go. Tears streaming down both their faces.