Part 3 - Chapter 1 - Train

Song - Bad Reputation (Joan Jett & the Blackhearts)

"Can't this thing go any faster?"  I huffed while half hanging out of the open rear door of the car watching the train moving away from us get closer... very slowly even though we were going at least a hundred kilometres an hour.

"You drive then! And try not to crash the fucking car," Vince hissed back as he tried to maneuver the car through the stretching open land of low grass and shrub, the desert mountains on the horizon.

We were rocked back and forth roughly in the car anyway, so it didn't really matter.

I narrowed my eyes in the glaring sunlight to watch the train get closer and closer. 

"Brenda, we're coming up behind, keep em busy!" Thomas shouted over the sound of the engine into his walkie-talkie.

Vince drove the car up the side of the track and onto the railway, almost throwing me out of the car but I hung on just in time. So now we were directly behind the train,

"This is crazy Thomas!" Vince shouted. Tom ignored him,

"Alright, El, you're up," He instructed from the passenger seat.

Finally.

I unclipped my seatbelt and expertly maneuvered myself out the rear door, trying to avoid slipping and dying. I then hoisted myself and landed carefully on the roof of the car. I grabbed hold of the handles Vince had added to the car to make my job a little bit easier. Doesn't really change the fact I am standing on a car going the same speed as a cargo train.

I lowered myself to the hood and grabbed the massive metal hook attached to the chain like I had practiced hundreds of times.

The back of the train still was two metres away from the front of the car so I couldn't reach,

"I need to get closer!" I shouted to Vince, not bothering to look over my shoulder because I immediately felt Vince floor it, and the car finally made the last distance. I was then able to attach the hook to a metal bar, grab hold of the ladder, and jump onto the platform.

"Alright, Tom come on!" I hollered.

I watched Thomas unclip his seatbelt and make his way to the hood of the car. As he jumped to the platform, I extended a hand and helped him land safely.

"Come on Vince!" Thomas yelled at the man still behind the wheel. He slowly climbed to the front of the car, leaving the car to just be dragged by the train.

But then the tire gave out, forcing Vince to his stomach,

"Vince!" I cried.

The chain started to pull further away, increasing the gap between the car and the platform. Vince slowly got to his feet, but the gap was almost two meters again.

"Jump!" Thomas hollered.

The man took a breath... and leaped out as far as he could. He grabbed the handle, but his feet dragged along the tracks. And just as me and Tom heaved him up to the platform, the chain snapped, sending the car into a series of flips until it finally crashed on the tracks.

We all turned around to watch the car get further and further away,

"Shit!" Vince cursed.

"Let's go!" Thomas ordered starting to climb the ladder to the roof of the train. I was about to follow but a dot of black in the sky caught my eye. Oh no.

"Hey! Berg," I warned while pointing to the spot in the sky that molded into the shape of a Wicked aircraft. The boys turned to look as the ship flew closer and closer... and then completely passed us, aiming for the front of the train.