Chapter 10 - Separated

Song - Achilles Come Down (Gang of Youths)

"Eleanor," a voice murmured, teasingly.

I groaned not opening my eyes.

"Go away Newt," I moaned rolling over to go back to sleep.

"Not Newt,"

I opened my eyes expecting the blonde boy, instead, I was met with a face containing a set of very impressive eyebrows.

"Morning," Gally said smiling down at me with a smirk.

I rubbed my eyes. I don't know why I thought it was Newt. It felt like a memory that was playing on replay. Or perhaps a dream from a long time ago.

"What's the time?"

"Dawn, we need to get some practice in before the day starts,"

I groaned again.

"Come on, let's go," Gally said while heading away from the hammocks.

I got up and put on my boots. Minho was already missing from his bed, but Chuck was still curled up like a little chipmunk. Newt and Thomas remained wrapped up in each other's arms. Thomas's body cradled the blonde boy and his face was buried into Newt's neck. Newt's wispy morning hair covered his own face. They both looked so comfortable and calm, but it surprised me. Minho and Gally would have definitely seen them this morning.

I walked past them to where Gally waited against a tree. As we were about to leave, I saw Minho and Alby getting ready beside the entryway to the maze. As the doors opened, they bolted inside. It was the first time I had felt the pang of worry for both of them. I didn't want to imagine another person getting stung. Gally motioned his head for me to follow him and I did so. We walked in silence deeper into the forest until I interrupted the peace.

"Have you noticed how.... um, you know, Newt and Thomas... how close they are?"

Gally chuckled softly.

"You do know then?" I asked.

"Well, they never really have said anything but me and Min sort of figured it out a few weeks after Thomas came up. They hide it sometimes in front of the others but with us, I don't think they really care," he explained.

"Okay, cool," I concluded while smiling to myself. For some reason, it just made me so happy to know that they were happy. I pulled out a few spare bandages in my pocket and started to rewrap my knuckles. It looked better today, less cuts but still purple, green, and yellow with bruises. It ached as I tightened the wrapping.

We reached a clearing and stopped in the middle. Gally faced me.

"Okay,"

He reached into his pocket and pulled out a knife. The blade was no bigger than the size of my hand. Slightly rusted and its handle is just brown wood with a few carved etchings. He held it for me. I grasped the handle.

"Keep that, just in case... you know. Something like yesterday happens again,"

"Okay," I said while sliding it into my pocket.

"Can I see your knuckle?"

When I nodded slowly, he came forward and softly took hold of my wrist. Even his soft touch sends sharp pains down my arm. I grimaced... but didn't tell him to stop. As he unwrapped the bandages, I felt his breath against my skin. His hands so strong and yet so gentle. I felt the blood rush to my cheeks. Once he finished unwrapping, he admired the bruises and grazes.

"It looks as if you punched too far up on your knuckle. It wouldn't have hurt in the moment because of the adrenaline but it would leave a nasty bruise the next day,"

He looked up in my eyes.

"The punches that got you these... would have caused Ben a whole lot of grief,"

I didn't smile. Neither did he.

"Let's just run through a few things, okay? The weakest point on a man to to kill, the best thing to do is stab right in the heart with a knife or anything you can get your hands on,"

I nodded.

"All right let's go,"

------------------------------------------

Gally ran me through the quickest way to disarm... and then kill a man. It was easy enough. I didn't ask him how he knew this. I was panting and hot by the end of it though. Gally told me to always keep the dagger on me, so I pocketed it with my compass and lighter. When we got back, we ate breakfast with Newt and Thomas. The rest of the morning was slow. No one to fix up so I just tidied up in the med hut and watched Gally build a new hut from the front door. It was a very nice view.

The rain started at lunch when I lined up with the rest of the boys. The sky turned dark, and thunder rolled through the glade within minutes. We all headed under the shelter and waited for Alby and Minho to return. When they didn't... that's when I started to worry.

"They should be back by now," I breathed, not breaking my gaze on the door. "What happens if they don't make it?"

Newt placed his hand on my shoulder.

"They're gonna make it," he affirmed. I turned to face him.

"What happens if they don't?"

"They're gonna make it," he repeated firmly.

Midday became afternoon and the showers became a drizzle. We waited. Waited at the entrance of the maze. All of us. I stood between Thomas and Gally. Newt on the other side of Thomas. I had both my hands on Chuck's shoulders in front of me. He was starting to panic as well.

"Come on guys, can't we send someone after them?" Thomas suggested.

"That's against the rules," Gally insisted. "Either they make it back or they don't,"

"Can't risk anyone else," Newt explained.

I swallowed and let out a rickety breath.

Gally grasped my hand and interlocked our fingers. I looked at him and he gave me a reassuring look.

The daily gust of wind blew dirt and debris in our faces. No one moved. I didn't deter my gaze from the tiny strip of maze we could see. The doors begun to close with a lurching screech.

Please.

"There!" Thomas called.

And in that moment as if someone heard my prayer, Minho turned the corner... carrying Alby on his back. The boys let out a sigh of relief, but Newt didn't.

"Wait, no, something's wrong," he blurted. Alby was unconscious and Minho was moving at a snail's pace, trying to get them both out.

"Come on, Minho, you can do it!" Chuck screamed.

The rest of the boys joined in,

"Come on!"

"You can do it!'

"Go!"

"Come on Minho!" I bellowed.

Minho dropped Alby and then proceeded to drag him by the foot along the ground.

"Minho you gotta leave him!" Gally yelled. I looked up at him and realized he was right. Minho can't save them both.

"They're not going to make it," Newt murmured.

"Just leave him!"

"Come on!"

Thomas grew still and stopped shouting. I looked at him. He looked at me. I could see it in his eyes. I knew what he was going to do. I nodded slowly, grasping his hand. He squeezed it reassuringly before releasing.

And then he bolted into the maze.