Chapter 19 - Payback

Song - Centuries (Fall Out Boy)

The truck slammed into the helicopter, sending it flying down the hill until it crashed, the parts of its propeller flinging straight for us.

"Get down!" Minho barked as he grabbed me and forced me to hit the deck. He shielded my head with his hands.

"Let's move!" Vince bellowed as we got back to our feet.

That's when the chaos started again.

People started running in every direction. Wicked soldiers overwhelmed with number of people everywhere.

Thomas pulled me closer to him, Newt, and Minho as we watched the events unfold. We watched Ava, Janson, and Teresa all flee among the crowd of soldiers. My blood boiled at the sight of the cowards.

"Hey!"

I spun on my heel and was met with... Brenda. She smirked at all our shocked faces. She threw us all the guns she was holding.

"You know how to use that?" She asked me,

Memories flashed in my brain. Training. Training for so many years. Forgotten skills waiting somewhere inside my subconsciousness.

"Yeah..." I cocked the gun with my hand, "I do,"

A nearby shout brought my focus in. I turned to see three soldiers running towards us. Fuck... This was going to feel good.

BANG! BANG! BANG!

They dropped to the ground before they could even lift their weapons.

"Holy shit-" Frypan started,

"Freeze!"

We all turned to see an incoming soldier running straight for Thomas with his gun pointed and electricity buzzing,

Thomas put his hands up,

BANG!

The soldier slumped to the ground.

I relaxed the gun in my hand once more.

Thomas turned and looked at me, confusion covering his face. I rolled my eyes,

"Come on!" I hollered while grabbing his arm and pulling him along, the others joining as we formed a group.

"Behind you," Brenda yelled. We spun to see a whole squad closing in on us.

"Thomas!" I exclaimed. He looked at me and I pointed at the bomb.

He ditched it towards the soldiers, spun back around, and pushed as all forward,

"Everybody get down!" He barked.

We all scattered before hitting the deck.

BOOM!

For a second everything was silent. My ears couldn't take in any other sound as they recovered from the explosion. I felt a hand grab my arm and gently heave me up. Newt.

"Come on we have to go," He urged.

As the others got to their feet, we reformed our group.

"Let's go!" Brenda bellowed as we started moving forward.

"Wait! Where's Thomas?" Newt gasped.

We looked behind us expecting got see our friend right there, but he wasn't.

"He must have gotten caught in the explosion!" Fry exclaimed.

Newt took a step towards the smoke,

Then a voice we recognized as Thomas called out,