Chapter 17 - Chaos

Song - Breezeblocks (alt-J)

The shaking had stopped, and we waited. Waited by the door. Just like we had for Minho and Alby. And then Minho, Alby, and Thomas. And now Thomas and Minho again. I've really begun to hate the waiting.

I grasped Newt's hand, noticing how he tried to hide the worry in his eyes so the younger boys wouldn't panic. Gally was as still as the cement walls that surrounded our home. His jaw was tightened and eyes not wavering from their narrow stare at the maze. I didn't say anything to soothe him. I knew he wasn't worried. He was angry. I watched the corner, praying that I would see them any second.

And then they turned the corner, both Tom and Minho. I let go a relieved breath and Newt's immediately relaxed and I could see his eyes shining in the afternoon sun. As they came closer, I could see them rasping for breath... no injuries as far as I could see but their eyes were wide with terror. 

As they passed through the group panting, we all followed behind them as they hurried for the huts.

"What the hell is going on out there?" Newt asked beside Tom.

"What have you done now Thomas?" Gally hissed from behind and I grabbed his wrist giving him a warning glare.

"We found something, a new passage. We think it could be a way out," Tom panted excitedly.

"Really?" Newt gasped.

"It's true, we opened a door... something I'd never seen before. I think it must be where the grievers go during the day," Minho affirmed.

Chuck scurried over to the boys,

"Wait. Woah, woah, woah. Wait, you're saying you found the griever's home? And you want us to go in?" Chuck clarified, eyes wide in terror.

"Their way in could be our way out Chuck," Thomas explained.

"Yeah, or there could be a dozen Grievers on the other side!" Gally seethed at my side. "The truth is Thomas doesn't know what he's done as usual!"

Thomas turned on his heel and got up in Gally's face,

"Yeah well, at least I did something, Gally! I mean, what have you done? Huh? Aside from hide behind these walls all the time!" He growled. Newt stood behind Thomas, unsure what to do.

"Let me tell you something, Thomas! You've been here one month; I've been here for three years!" Gally fumed,

The sound was drowned out from my ears when a hand grasped my wrist from behind. It was Jeff.

"Alby... here's awake," he murmured into my ear. I didn't know what to say. I turned to the boys,

"Guys,"

They didn't respond,

"Hey! It's Alby!" Tom and Gally stopped bickering, and everyone looked at me. "He's awake," I breathed before turning and hurrying to the med hut.

As I ran into the room, I saw Alby. He was sitting on the bed, back towards the door. He didn't say anything as the other boys rushed in behind me.

"Has he said anything?" I murmured into Jeff's ear.

"No," He responded grimly, Newt brushed past me and sat beside Alby.

"Alby?" He murmured... our leader didn't respond. "Alby are you alright?" Newt tried again. I moved closer so I could see Alby's face.

His eyes were cold. Distant. Sick. Traces of tears remained on his cheeks. He wrapped his arms around his bare chest shivering. I grabbed a blanket from a nearby bed, and then wrapped it around his shoulders before sitting on the opposite side of him. He didn't move a muscle.