Chapter 18 - Desperation

Song - Skyfall (Adele)

My eyes scanned the destruction rapidly for the boys as I stood atop the towering rock face. But amongst the crowds of fleeing, screaming people it was impossible. Helicopters above the camp released ropes. And soldiers started to slip down them, entering the camp. Armed.

I flinched at the first set of gunshots, sending a dozen people to the ground,

But I swallowed.

There is no point standing up here. I needed to find my brother. My friends.

With a deep breath, I forced my shaking legs down the path, leading into the camp.

My senses were overridden.

There was so much going on, my brain just blocked out all the overwhelming emotions. Now with a goal in mind, I kept going forward.

Find the boys.

I weaved through the outskirts of the camp, hoping to find them hiding and away from all the destruction but I couldn't find them. My heart rate started to rise. Panic setting in. I realized that the feeling that was growing in the bottom of my stomach... and the sudden violent shaking of my hands was the same feeling I got back in the maze.

I was hyperventilating.

My searches became senseless and frantic as I sprinted around and around, hiding from the soldiers' expenses into the camp.

"Eleanor!" A voice called from somewhere nearby. I spun in a circle trying to locate the position of the voice, but I could see no person, "Eleanor!" The voice yelled again.

I didn't want to risk giving up my position to Wicked by yelling out so instead I tried to follow the sound of the voice and as I turned behind yet another tent... I saw him.

"Thomas!"

The boy turned on the spot and when his eyes met mine, they instantly filled with relief. He ran to my side gripping me tight before placing his hands on both sides of my face.

"Are you okay? Are you hurt? Where's Teresa-"

Boom!

Another massive explosion sent mountains of force toward us, but Thomas kept us level by holding me tight. I looked up at him,

"Where's Newt?"

His eyes flooded with terror. His breathing was hoarse. Eyes wide and body tense. I missed the softness that I rarely got to see.

"He was looking for you..."

My own eyes widened. If I was looking for him but Thomas found me first...

"We have to go find him-"

BANG BANG BANG!

Gunshots started whipping the air around us and for a moment I thought it was all over, but two hands grabbed my shoulders and pulled me and Thomas down behind a car. I turned to see Brenda and Jorge both bent down, hiding.

"Are you two crazy? Are you trying to get yourselves killed?" Brenda stressed.

I ignored her concern,

"Where's Newt and the others?" I asked.

"Over there," Jorge answered while pointing to the other side of the camp. Newt, Minho, Fry, and Harriet all carried weapons and were shooting down Wicked fighters. They defended Vince on the back of a truck with a machine gun, which was causing some serious damage. They were surrounded by Wicked soldiers firing at them.