Chapter 20 - Escape

Song - Unstoppable (The Score)

I followed in step with Newt and Thomas at the front of the group. I wiped my face with my sleeve. No time for tears now. Focus.

And when I did, I actually saw what we were running in.

The maze was exactly like I imagined. Staggering cement walls. Ivy creeping up the sides like cobwebs. Shadows blanketed every corner, and some foul stench consumed the walls. I followed the boys through the intricate path. How anyone could remember the path was a mystery to me.

We reached the end of the first section and were met with wider open spaces, the walls becoming thicker but less frequent. The cement floor now like a desert. It made me feel very small being met with the massive metal towers.

"Keep it up guys, we're almost there!" Thomas yelled to the group.

I breathed heavily through my mouth. Trying to calm my rapidly beating heart. I tried to just look ahead. Not at the towering structures surrounding me.

I ran beside Newt, watching his slower pace compared to the others. He had a slight limp, and the right side of his body seemed to weigh down him. I'll ask what that's all about after this is all over. If this is ever over. I shook the thought from my mind as Thomas led us to the side of a cement wall. He glanced around the corner and turned back, face pale.

"Is there a griever?" Chuck asked nervously.

"Yeah," He breathed, just as I heard the familiar chittering that made my stomach twist.

"Shit," I heard someone whisper behind me.

"You take this, Chuck. Stay behind us," Minho instructed the small boy while handing him the key. I patted him on the shoulder and smiled to try and give him some encouragement.

"It's okay Chuck, just stay with El and you'll be fine," Newt comforted. I smiled at him and he responded weakly.

"Once we're through, it'll activate, and the door will open," Thomas explained firmly, everyone's attention on him.

"All right, we stay close, we stick together, we get through this... we get out now... or we die trying," Thomas affirmed, his eyes as determined as ever. At that moment, I saw him and the effect he had on all the boys. The way that now everyone wore the same determined look as him because we trusted him. And I know for one that I would follow him anywhere. And so would every single boy in this group.

"Ready?" he murmured before slamming the bottom of his spear on the ground, "Alright! Let's go!" He screamed followed by all our yells, screams, and roars. I joined the hollering as we ran around the corner and were met with the griever around ten meters in front. I saw now that the path we must follow was in between two massive drop-offs, that seemed to have an endless abyss. At the end lay just a cement wall... but I knew it was our escape.

I grabbed Chuck by the shoulder and hauled him to the side, letting the others pass.

"We got this," I whispered into his ear before following after the boys. I held out my spear, I wouldn't know how to use it if it wasn't for Gally's training. He taught me every possible way to kill a man with this stick. He said that right through the heart was the best option... but I don't think this griever could possibly have a heart.

It was a painful watch... the boys that have become my brothers run towards the creature that has killed so many of us. Newt, Minho, Thomas, Frypan, Winston, and Jeff. But I didn't tear my eyes away from the creature as we clashed.

The impact made little difference to the animal, but we pushed it with our spears slightly to the side. Just in front of the seemingly endless drop-off.