Chapter 18 - Revenge

Song - Look What You Made Me Do (Taylor Swift)

"He's gonna make it," Minho assured, not tearing his eyes away from the burning building.

I couldn't help but think of where I had been here before all that time ago.

Waiting for Thomas to return from that fucking maze.

I glanced at Newt behind me on the stretcher.

Gally had carried him to the ship over his shoulder and I had gotten his leg to stop bleeding where I shot him. He looked peaceful now, sleeping and his chest rising and falling slowly.

But I couldn't help staring at the veins that consumed the bottom half of his skin.

Thomas was right.

The serum is temporary. We needed a cure.

But Tom was taking too long.

I didn't trust Teresa one bit... and who knows where Jansen had gotten to.

We stood in a line at the end of the ship. Frypan held Brenda close. I stood in between Gally and Minho.

None of us would have been here without Thomas. Without him, I bet we would still be in that maze. Or eaten by Grievers. Or we would be in Wicked holding. Or dead in the middle of the desert.

He's the reason we are still here. He led us. Every single one of us would follow him anywhere.

He saved us. Too many times to count on both hands.

And for once... it's time for him to be saved.

I glanced at Newt. One last glance just in case...

I swallowed, putting away the thought. I turned to Minho,

"Don't let Gally follow me," I murmured.

He looked at me in confusion,

"What? No El you'll get killed-"

"Promise me Minho,"

He released an angry breath.

"I promise,"

I looked up at Gally. He still was staring at the roof door of the Wicked compound.

He caught my eye,

"What's the matter?" he asked.

I swallowed before taking a deep breath,

"I'm sorry," I whispered.

"What are you talking-"

And before I could even fathom the fear of the height below me...

I jumped and landed on the roof with a somersault to cushion the blow.

"Eleanor no!" He barked.

I didn't look back as I kicked open the roof door and entered the building.

"Thomas!"

No response except my voice echoing through the building. The lights were out leaving me in almost complete darkness and explosions rattled the walls.

It was a ghost town.

I pelted through the corridors trying to make sense of this maze.

I stopped.

Teresa wanted the cure from him.

They must be in the medical wing... or somewhere near there.

And I have no idea where that is.