Chapter 4 - Rescued

Song - Bring Me To Life (Evanescence)

Everything just slotted into place in that moment, like the final piece of the ever-growing puzzle. The little blonde boy in my memories... was him. Those were my parents. He was my brother. I had known him before the maze. But to this extent, I could have never imagined. I just stared at the blonde hair, hazel eyes, and round face I recognized on myself. How could I have been so stupid?

I stared at him as soldiers started to try and body their way through the door that had been blocked by a metal table. Minho stood in front with a gun,

"Get back! Get back!" he yelled as I latched onto Thomas.

"Please tell me what is going on!" I yelled over the commotion. No one responded.

"We got to get out of here!" Minho bellowed as the soldiers started to break down the door.

"Where do we go?" Someone screamed. I saw the glass window lining the wall behind us, at the same time Thomas did.

Thomas let go of me and grabbed a metal stall beside the bed.

"Everybody stand back!" he instructed, before slamming it into the glass. It rebounded off.

"Newt help!"

Newt grabbed another stall, "Ready?" he yelled.

And together they said,

"3, 2, 1!" Before smashing the window into thousands of tiny pieces.

Newt grabbed my hand and nudged me forward to jump over the now-empty windowsill. Tom jumped over first and gave me his arm as I stepped with my bare feet into the wall, showered in glass. I winced but didn't say anything and Tom grabbed me under the legs and placed me gently on my feet on the opposite side. My eyes trailed to our exit and just on the opposite side of the hall did I see another operating room. I remembered something that Dr Crawford had said while I was in the void-like state.

"Come on move let's go! Thomas!" Minho yelled while chucking the gun he held into Tom's hands.

"Stay behind me!" Tom ordered while swinging open the door and was met with a soldier. And out of pure instinct, Tom shot the gun into the soldier's chest.

He was pushed several meters back and shook violently on the ground, blue lights of electricity zapping his body.

"Shit, okay come on!" Tom yelled while starting to run forward.

"Wait!" I screamed while pivoting and sprinting to the door just across the hall.

"Ella come on!" Tom screamed. I stopped but my hand remained on the door handle.

"There's another girl in here, we can save her!"

"El, we don't have time!" Newt yelled.

"Please! I don't know what they were planning to do to me, but I think they're going to do the same with her!" I pleaded.

Thomas let out an exasperated breath,

"Fine! Just hurry!"

I swung open the door and was met with another familiar face.

Teresa.

More memories came flooding into my brain as I rushed to her side. We used to work together. She was one of us. Wicked must have turned on her too-. I looked at Thomas and I could instantly tell he too recognized her. He looked at me and must have read my face because he mouthed,

"You remember?"

I nodded before lightly shaking her shoulder.

"Hey, Teresa!"