Chapter 19 - Broken

Song - Smokey Eyes (Lincoln)

"Do you reckon Gally will come with us," I murmured to Newt who sat beside me on the ground, both our backs to the pit.

"No," He sighed, "Gally has always been slow to any change but this... this is just not something he would comprehend,"

I nodded solemnly. I knew he would say this but for some reason, I still asked. Just to see if there was any hope. Of course, I was mad at Gally. Mad at the way he had treated Thomas. Treated me. Treated all of us. But it's not like the past four days had magically disappeared in my mind. I still cared for him. Still wanted him to come with us.

We were escaping. Newt, Minho, Fry, and Chuck had made our plan. We were just waiting for Thomas to wake up from inside the pit... where Gally had thrown him after we gave him the antidote. Gally had gone mad. And had gotten so many boys on his side as well. He is obsessed with the idea that all this destruction is Thomas's fault. And he seems to forget that Alby also told me that I was one of them. I hadn't really thought about it since. Every time it came into my mind, I just pushed it down. I didn't have time to think about what that could mean. If Ben was right. If this really was all my fault. No. Not now. I can think about this later.

"Guys," Chuck murmured looking inside the pit.

Thomas's eyes were flickering open.

"Hey... you okay?" Newt asked softly coming closer to the door, placing his hand on the wooden cage.

"What the hell were you thinking?" Chuck grumbled.

Thomas sat up on his elbows,

"What happened?" he murmured, staring up at Newt. I could the blonde boy's eyes falter before answered,

"Gally's taken control... He said we had a choice. Either join him or get banished at sundown with you," Newt explained, his voice barely making it to the end of his sentence.

Thomas moved to a sitting position, shaking his head.

"And the others agreed to that?" His eyes trailed over to me. I took a deep breath.

"Gally has everyone convinced that you're the reason all this has happened," I breathed.

He slightly nodded and rubbed his hands on his pants.

"Well, he's been right so far," he murmured, making us all share the same puzzled look.

"What are you talking about?" Minho asked. I could see Tom contemplating his next choice of words.

"This place... is not what we thought it was," He breathed slowly. I glanced quickly at Newt, catching his eye. He looked just as concerned as I did.

"It's not a prison... it's a test," he revealed. The breath in my throat hitched.

"It all started when we were kids... they'd give us these challenges... they were experimenting on us,"

A flash of a dream I had one of the first nights appeared in my mind. They were doing something to me. It hurt. And I saw all the boys. Tom, Newt, and Gally. They were testing them.

"And then people started disappearing... every month, one after the other like clockwork,"

"Sending them up into the maze?" Newt asked. I think we all knew the answer.

"Yeah, but not all of us," Tom murmured.

"What do you mean?" I asked, Tom gazed at Newt. I felt Newt go impossibly still.