21. Panic

Panic seized Siddharth as he reached the door of Ishita's apartment. The gas detector team scrambled to locate the source of the leakage, but Siddharth's mind was solely focused on finding Ishita. Instructing his team to prioritize Apartment-104, he felt a sense of urgency that went beyond his professional duties.

The door to Apartment-104 yielded to the force of the firefighters' efforts, revealing a thick cloud of gas that triggered coughs among the rescue team. Through the haze, Siddharth's eyes quickly found Ishita lying motionless on her bed—a mix of relief and heightened concern flooded his senses.

Amidst the pervasive gas, Siddharth moved with purpose. His initial worry about a potential gas-related emergency shifted to the alarming discovery of Ishita's unconscious state. It wasn't the gas affecting her; instead, she was burning with fever. Ignoring the hazardous environment, Siddharth rushed to her side, his mind racing through the possibilities. "Ishita!" he called out, but she remained unresponsive.

Setting aside the gas concerns momentarily, Siddharth scooped Ishita into his arms. The room seemed to blur around him as he carried her fragile form out of the apartment. The urgency in his movements was palpable as he navigated through the thickening gas. The weight of worry etched lines on his face.

Outside, the gas momentarily forgotten, Siddharth placed Ishita on a safe spot and took a moment to assess her condition. The fever had taken its toll, and Siddharth's concern deepened. Instructing Rishi to call a doctor from City Hospital without delay, Siddharth's focus shifted entirely to ensuring that Ishita received the prompt and necessary medical attention. 

As the first light of dawn began to illuminate the scene, an unusual tableau unfolded in front of the society building. The residents, now evacuated due to the gas-leakage scare, sat on the ground, creating a makeshift community in the early morning hours. The air was laced with a mixture of relief and concern, as families huddled together—some on blankets, others on the cold pavement.

Children found solace in the comforting embrace of their parents' laps, their innocence temporarily shielded from the earlier chaos. Some residents engaged in quiet conversations, while others sat in contemplative silence, perhaps pondering the unpredictable nature of emergencies that had disrupted their peaceful sleep.

The emergency rescue unit, having successfully resolved the gas-leakage issue, advised the residents to remain outdoors for an hour or so. This precautionary measure was to ensure that any lingering traces of gas dissipated, rendering their living spaces safe once again. Fortunately, the early morning hour and the absence of pressing commitments made this inconvenience more bearable for the residents.

Ishita slowly opened her eyes, greeted by a dimly lit interior that seemed unfamiliar. As her senses started to sharpen, she recognized Mira, her assistant doctor, sitting beside her. Mira, engrossed in some paperwork, hadn't noticed Ishita's awakening.

Feeling a bit disoriented and with a slight headache, Ishita attempted to speak, her throat feeling tight. "Mira," she rasped, catching her assistant's attention. Mira looked up with a concerned expression. "Dr. Raichand, are you okay?" she asked.

Managing a nod, Ishita sat up and surveyed her surroundings. It didn't take long for Mira to fill her in on the gas-leakage incident and the current situation. Ishita's eyes widened in realization as Mira mentioned that they were currently inside a firetruck. The emergency team had not returned to the station yet, and Ishita found herself in the makeshift sleeping quarters of the vehicle.

As Mira continued her explanation, she shared an interesting tidbit. A certain tall firefighter, referred to as 'the captain,' had expressed genuine concern when he learned about Ishita's exhaustion. Ishita's heart skipped a beat at the mention of the captain's concern. It was an unexpected revelation that left her feeling a mix of surprise and warmth.