53. Take A Stand

As the weary sun dipped beneath the horizon, casting an orange hue across the disaster-stricken landscape, Siddharth and Ishita found themselves walking side by side, their steps heavy with exhaustion. The day's laborious efforts in the aftermath of the earthquake had taken a toll on them, and their tired but determined faces reflected the gravity of their responsibilities.

Just as Siddharth was contemplating walking Ishita back to her camp, their attention was diverted by a commotion near his firetruck. With a shared glance, they hurried to the scene, only to witness a troubling confrontation. A rescue officer from another station had a tight grip on the collar of a fireman from his own team. Siddharth's expression darkened at the sight of the unnecessary aggression.

"What's going on here?!" he demanded, approaching the unfolding drama. The grip on his team member's collar was released, but tension lingered in the air as the opposing party refused to back down. Siddharth surveyed the situation, addressing his team with concern, "Guys, what's happening?"

Ashish, one of Siddharth's teammates, stepped forward to provide an explanation. His frustration was palpable as he recounted the encounter, "Some beggars are here, Captain." Siddharth furrowed his brow in confusion, prompting Ashish to clarify, "His team is here to 'ask' for some water and food, 'if available.' We denied, but they are forcefully trying to check our container in the truck. I stopped them, so they're just showing their maturity," he added, shooting a disdainful glare at the intruders.

Siddharth's gaze hardened as he focused on the firefighters from station 1C. Recognition settled in, "You guys are from station 1C, right?" The nodding heads of the intruders confirmed his suspicion. Siddharth's stern demeanor conveyed the seriousness of the situation, "I want to talk to your instructor or captain. Right now. One of you, go and call them."

With urgency in the air, one of the firefighters from station 1C hastened to fulfill Siddharth's request, disappearing into the shadows as the tension between the two groups lingered, a stark reminder that even in the face of a disaster, conflicts could arise, testing the limits of unity and cooperation among rescue teams.

The tension in the air escalated as Siddharth awaited the arrival of the captain from station 1C. When the captain appeared, Siddharth's instant recognition of him was evident. Despite the fury radiating from Siddharth's teammates, particularly Instructor Vinay, Siddharth restrained him, opting for a more composed approach.

As Captain Mishra, the captain from station 1C, approached, there was an air of arrogance about him, as if the incident was nothing out of the ordinary. Mishra grinned at Siddharth and began, "Ah, Captain Gupta, what a way to meet you again. Our team is moving near to a city side, so we won't have a problem tomorrow, but...for now...we need some emergency supplies."

Siddharth's response was sharp, "Are you and your team here for a vacation of a few hours?" The harshness of his question hung in the air as he continued, "We, the rescue force, are here to help the general public. At least have some decency."

Attempting to ease the situation, Mishra said, "Captain Gupta, I understand, but we need..."

Siddharth cut him off, unwilling to entertain further discussion, "Captain Mishra, I'm in charge of a station too. I'm not so blind. Your station was supposed to be assigned to this area, but you refused and managed to land your team in another area just because this sector is dangerous and the most affected area. You can't use your truck to transport everywhere. But my boys were fully ready to face any challenge head-on. We are here well-prepared for at least two weeks. Yes, we do have emergency supplies, but we won't give it to anyone. I can't ask my boys to starve to death. Do you see the medical team here?" He nodded towards the doctors and nurses who were observing the scene with tense expressions.

Siddharth continued, addressing the core of the matter, "We, both teams, will share the supplies we have. So, no." Siddharth stood firm, defending his team and the responsibility placed on his shoulders. The other team left in embarrassment, their plan foiled by Siddharth's unwavering determination.

However, when Siddharth's eyes met Ishita's, he sighed. Though she didn't say anything, a proud smile adorned her face as she witnessed him vehemently defending his team. Siddharth's heart remained unyielding, his gaze shifting to Rishi as he instructed, "Hey, keep all the dry food materials for ourselves and... give them the little bit of fruits we have left." Despite the resolve in his decision, Siddharth couldn't ignore the subtle pang within him; after all, they were all here to help people, and there was no time for personal grudges. The firefighters exchanged glances, understanding the gravity of the situation, and Rishi proceeded to carry out Siddharth's instructions.

Rishi dutifully delivered the fruits to station 1C as per Siddharth's instructions and returned after a few minutes. The medical team, aside from Ishita, had departed, leaving her to sit amidst the firefighters. Anuj couldn't resist a teasing remark, "Thank god. For a moment, I thought he is not our captain." Vinay nodded in agreement, "Same here." 

Siddharth, rolling his eyes, sighed, "Sorry, guys. I was just... carried away with my anger. Captain Mishra, he is an as**ole, but his team is not at fault." A few chuckled in response. Siddharth stood up and addressed them, "Have some rest; we need to start again tomorrow morning." The firefighters nodded and settled down on the rocky ground.

As Ishita and Siddharth walked together through the silent and rocky road, a teasing smirk adorned Ishita's face. "I didn't know your angry and bad-boy side would be so attractive. 'Get lost, I don't care' – that was pretty turning on," she remarked.  Siddharth rolled his eyes and sighed, "Shut up. That was unnecessary."

 Ishita interrupted, "That was not. You had to take a stand for your team, especially the way they behaved." Siddharth nodded in acknowledgment. Ishita continued her teasing, "Then when your anger cooled down, I saw the actual side of my husband. That makes me fall for him even more, and... makes me want to kiss his anger out."

 Siddharth, not looking at her, responded, "I'm not stopping you."

They both stopped on their tracks, and in a swift motion, Ishita turned him towards her, stood on her tiptoes, and kissed him passionately. Siddharth reciprocated, wrapping his arm around her back. When they pulled away, Siddharth rested his forehead against hers, and they shared a moment of relief. Ishita smiled and said, "Go, have a little sleep. And... don't get hurt tomorrow." 

Siddharth smiled back and nodded, "Yes, Dr. Gupta." They exchanged warm smiles, and she walked into her camp while he returned to his firetruck, both carrying the satisfaction of their connection amidst the chaos.

As the first rays of the morning sun touched the rocky landscape, the firefighters began to stir, preparing for another day of challenging work. However, Vinay,  sensed something amiss. He surveyed the ground where they had laid down to rest and checked each firetruck, but Siddharth was nowhere to be found. Growing uneasy, Vinay called out, "Captain!" but received only silence in response.

Concern spread through the team as they realized Siddharth was missing. Vinay, determined to find answers, attempted to contact Siddharth using his walkie-talkie code. To their relief, the code was transmitting, but Siddharth was not responding. Vinay recalled the last moments with Siddharth – he had returned after dropping Ishita at her camp and had lain down beside Vinay. So, where could he be now?

Rishi, approached Vinay with a sense of urgency. "He's not here yet?" Confused, Vinay asked, "What do you mean?" 

Rishi explained, "Around 3 or 4 am,  captain woke up and said he saw smoke somewhere around here. I asked if I should wake everyone, but he refused, saying he should make sure first. Then he walked towards those debris areas." Rishi pointed to his right, indicating the direction Siddharth had taken.

Panic set in among the team as they rushed towards the debris, calling out Siddharth's name. Rishi, however, couldn't shake off a terrible feeling gnawing at him. Despite the unease, he joined the search party, hoping to find their captain safe and sound.