43. Old Roommates

As Siddharth walked through the busy domestic streets, his eyes scanning the surroundings for a specific address, he eventually spotted the familiar figure he was looking for. There, in front of an apartment building, stood Raj, his best friend, engaged in conversation with his wife, Arohi—Ishita's best friend. A genuine happiness filled Siddharth as he witnessed the heartwarming scene unfolding before him.

Raj, a mischievous grin usually adorning his face, was now bending down to place a soft kiss on Arohi's growing stomach. The realization of impending parenthood seemed to have transformed his carefree demeanor into a more tender one. Siddharth couldn't believe that his playful and spirited best friend was going to be a father very soon.

With a content sigh, Siddharth approached the couple. Unaware of his presence, Raj continued talking animatedly, while Arohi, catching sight of Siddharth's familiar figure, gently tapped her husband's shoulder and nodded towards the approaching friend. Raj turned around, and for a moment, he stood there, struck speechless by the unexpected presence of Siddharth in that joyous moment.

Siddharth greeted Arohi with a warm smile, "Hello, people. Room 28." 

Arohi rolled her eyes, reminiscing about the banter from their old days. "Hello, Sid. How have you been?" she inquired. 

Siddharth nonchalantly replied, "Fantastic! When is the little one coming?" 

Arohi smiled, placing her hand on her stomach, "7 weeks more."

Raj, feeling a bit out of place, cleared his throat. Arohi seized the opportunity to tease him, "Oh, Sid, this is my husband." They all chuckled, and Raj frowned playfully at the banter. 

Siddharth looked at him, "How you doing, punk?" Raj, avoiding eye contact, muttered, "I'm good. What brings you here?"

Arohi playfully slapped Raj's shoulder and turned to Siddharth, "Come on, Sid. Let's go in." Siddharth nodded, and he followed the couple inside. 

As Arohi excused herself to get coffee, Siddharth sensed the lingering awkwardness between him and Raj. He decided to address the unspoken tension, dismissing any need for a formal discussion. "There's nothing major to sort out, RO. You sit here comfortably," he assured Arohi, who hesitantly took a seat beside Raj.

Siddharth reached into his handbag and handed them an invitation. Arohi, puzzled, accepted it. When she opened it, both she and Raj gasped in shock. Arohi's eyes widened, and she turned to Siddharth, exclaiming, "No way! You and Ishita? Really?" Siddharth simply smiled, confirming her excited question. Arohi, influenced by her fluctuating hormones, declared, "Oh God. I'm gonna cry." Raj and Siddharth chuckled.

Siddharth then turned to Raj, asking, "Is it a good enough reason for you to talk to me again?" Raj's smile faded, feeling guilty for breaking all connections with Siddharth. Before he could apologize, Siddharth shook his head, interrupting, "Forget about that. I'm gonna need you both now, especially when grandma is no more."

He proceeded to share the news of his grandma's passing and Shraddha's recently concluded marriage. Raj and Arohi were heartbroken to hear about grandma but delighted to learn about Shraddha. They promised to attend Siddharth's wedding, mending the broken friendship.

After sharing the news, Siddharth bid them farewell, having resolved the tensions with Raj and establishing a rekindled connection with his old friends. 

Ishita approached her friend Priya's apartment, and as she neared the door, she noticed a man standing outside. The man, Deepak was pleading to be let in. He buzzed the doorbell, saying, "Come on, babe. Let me in. I'm sorry, okay? I didn't know you had plans." 

A woman's voice from inside, presumably Priya, shouted back, "You think I care about excuses?! Get lost, Deepak Thakur!"

Deepak turned to look at Ishita, recognizing her, and asked hesitantly, "You're Raichand, right?" Ishita smiled, remembering their days in the university hostel. "Hello, Deep," she greeted him. Deepak, surprised, knocked on the door and pleaded, "Priya, open the door. Ishita is here. Raichand, your hostel-sister."

Priya's muffled voice came from inside, "You're not allowed to come in for one more hour because you know what?! This joke wasn't funny." 

Ishita chuckled and buzzed the doorbell, teasing, "You know it's domestic abuse, Advocate Priya?"

The door swung open instantly, and Priya stared at Ishita for a moment in disbelief. Then, without uttering a word, she broke into a loud cheer and pulled Ishita into a tight hug. The reunion was filled with excitement and laughter as they embraced each other after a long time. 

As they sat inside, Priya, with her usual chatty and spirited nature, explained why she had kicked her husband, Deepak, out for hours. Apparently, she had planned to go somewhere, and Deepak had forgotten about it, resulting in his tardiness.

 Deepak, in his defense, explained that Priya hadn't given him the exact time for the plans, so he was late. 

Ishita shook her head at their familiar banter and handed them the envelope. Priya, before accepting it, narrowed her eyes and asked, "Is it your marriage invitation?" Ishita nodded, and Priya sighed, looking away, "Thank you for that, but we can't make it, sorry."

 Ishita glanced at Deepak for an answer. Deepak sighed and looked at his wife, saying, "Come on, Priya. Let's forget about that..."

 Priya glared at him and then turned her gaze back to Ishita, questioning, "Seriously?! You... you moved on?"

Ishita was confused beyond limit, "What do you mean?" 

Priya sighed, "I know you're my friend, like my sister. But... he was heartbroken. Sid was devastated when you left. I'm not sure, but I have a feeling that he's still probably waiting for you." 

The guilt and pain unsettled Ishita again, and she sighed, "I haven't moved on yet. I could never."

 Priya's eyes softened, "Then... is it an arranged marriage or something?" 

Ishita sighed, "See it for yourself." Priya took the invitation, and Ishita smirked, waiting for her friend's reaction.

As Priya opened the envelope and read the contents, she freaked out, exclaiming, "You and Sid are getting married! My ship sailed all the way down to marriage." Deepak and Ishita shook their heads, amused by Priya's dramatic reaction. Priya then looked at Ishita with curiosity, demanding, "Okay, now tell me how and when did this happen?"

Ishita took a deep breath and began to recount the story in a nutshell – how she and Siddharth had met again, this time in their respective work fields as a doctor and firefighter. She described the series of chance encounters, the resolution of their past misunderstandings, and how they had eventually started dating again. Ishita elaborated on the tension arising from her parents' disapproval of Siddharth, the departure of his grandmother, and the events leading up to Shraddha's wedding. She covered every significant detail.

Ishita also shared that Siddharth was meeting Raj and Arohi today, and they talked about the impending reunion set to happen on her wedding day. After narrating the whirlwind of events, she left Priya with the anticipation of more tales to come. The two friends exchanged a warm hug before Ishita departed.

As the breezy evening warmed the small town streets, Siddharth and Ishita climbed onto their bicycles and started riding around. The sun cast a warm, golden glow over the familiar and familial faces of the town. People were busy in farming fields, kids playing with laughter echoing in the air, and some elderly individuals leisurely walking along the peaceful roads with their pets.

Siddharth turned to his left, his gaze fixed on Ishita. The evening glow of the sun added a different kind of beauty to Ishita's features. Her smile radiated warmth and happiness, and Siddharth couldn't help but feel overwhelmed by the realization that his dream of a normal life with the woman he loves is on the verge of becoming a beautiful reality.

While still riding her own bicycle, Ishita glanced at Siddharth with a wide smile that took his breath away. The anticipation of being with each other for eternity, just a little over a week away, filled the air with a sweet sense of excitement. The small town, with its serene surroundings, witnessed the joyous ride of two souls deeply in love.