42. Invitation(2)

As Mr. Raichand's busy day unfolded in the corporate hustle of his office, a persistent interruption found its way into his agenda. The discreet whispers of his personal assistant reached his ears, conveying the urgency of an uninvited visitor. Unperturbed, Mr. Raichand directed his PA to inform the unidentified guest to wait for an hour, inadvertently sidelining the matter in the whirlwind of his commitments.

Time, however, played its own game, stretching the promised hour into two. Amidst important deliberations, Mr. Raichand seemed to have entirely forgotten about the man patiently awaiting his audience. The persistent PA returned with news that the visitor, undeterred by the passing time, was resolute in his decision to stay until he had met Mr. Raichand.

Frustration etched across his features, Mr. Raichand, absorbed in his critical meeting, brushed off the concerns. The PA persisted, making repeated attempts to convey the urgency of the matter. It was during the fifth intervention that Mr. Raichand's patience wore thin. He demanded to know the identity of this persistent visitor who had disrupted his day.

Hesitation lingered in the air as the PA deliberated on revealing the name. Finally, with a sigh, he disclosed, "He is your son-in-law, sir." The revelation hung in the room, catching everyone's attention. 

Unbeknownst to him, the executives in the meeting room took a stance, expressing their unanimous opinion on the matter. One of them broke the silence, reminding Mr. Raichand of the importance of family alongside business. The room collectively agreed that family matters deserved attention as much as any corporate affair.

As his colleagues left the room, smiles exchanged, Mr. Raichand remained, grappling with the unforeseen intrusion of Siddharth, the son-in-law he had kept waiting for hours. Fuming with a mix of embarrassment and frustration, he realized that the boundaries between his personal and professional worlds had momentarily blurred.  

As Mr. Raichand descended the staircase, his focus drawn to the commotion in the lobby, his eyes widened in surprise. A sight unfolded before him that he hadn't anticipated – his staff and colleagues, usually engrossed in corporate affairs, were now gathered around Siddharth, exchanging greetings and pleasantries. The unexpected turn of events caught Mr. Raichand off guard.

Siddharth, sensing Mr. Raichand's approach, turned around to face him. The atmosphere crackled with tension as Mr. Raichand, attempting to conceal his frustration, addressed Siddharth with a stern expression, "Let's talk outside." Nodding in agreement, Siddharth followed him, and the two walked towards the parking lot.

Once they reached a more secluded spot, Mr. Raichand couldn't contain his displeasure, glaring at Siddharth with intensity. "How dare you call yourself my son-in-law?" he demanded. Siddharth, unfazed by the confrontation, responded calmly, "Because you're my fiancée's father."

A flash of vulnerability crossed Mr. Raichand's face as he spoke, avoiding Siddharth's eyes, "I'm not her father. She said I'm just a stranger to her." Siddharth nodded, acknowledging the pain embedded in those words. Sensing an opportunity to assert his own observations, he continued, "Then why do I spot your car at the end of my streets? Why do I see your car in front of the city hospital?"

Mr. Raichand was caught off guard, realizing that Siddharth had been aware of his discreet visits to observe his daughter from a distance, to catch a glimpse of her when he missed her presence.

Siddharth maintained a calm demeanor, a serene smile playing on his lips as he addressed Mr. Raichand. "Had you been her mother, I would have reported to the police that you're a stalker," he remarked, his words cutting through the tension. Mr. Raichand glared at him, but Siddharth remained unfazed.

Continuing with a measured tone, Siddharth spoke, "You raised her for almost 20 years, sir. I've heard, and I do believe, the nurturer is greater than the creator. You took her responsibility, loved her, perhaps the same, if not more than Arnav. Do you think all of that is gone in vain just because you told her something humiliating about me?"

Mr. Raichand sighed, avoiding eye contact, feeling the weight of Siddharth's words. Siddharth, however, carried on, "Sir, there are a hundred reasons for me to harbor resentment towards you. On the other hand, there are only two reasons for me to respect you. I'm ready to forget whatever you said about my existence just because you still care and love your daughter. That's enough for me. Your points of view about me don't matter."

He paused for a moment, letting the words sink in, before continuing with conviction, "Just like that, there are hundreds of reasons for me being unworthy of Ishita. But there is just one reason, which is enough to make me worthy of her – her love for me. That reason is: she accepted me. That's enough. Others' judgments hold no value then."

Siddharth took a deep breath before continuing, a mix of vulnerability and sincerity in his voice. "Let me tell you something about me, and in general. Everyone, especially men, always have this common regret. They don't show it, but deep down, in a small corner of their heart, there is always a regret for men. That is - not appreciating enough of their father, not expressing their gratitude towards their fathers, not expressing how much they love their father."

He looked directly into Mr. Raichand's eyes, his words carrying the weight of experience. "With mothers, it's easier. We, men, find it easy to express our love for our mothers. But with fathers, it's always a bit conscious, a little awkward. Mothers are like the floor of a house, but the father makes it a home, standing over the floor as the roof. We think our fathers are men just like us, so they'd understand on their own about our feelings. We often think we have enough time to express our gratitude. But sometimes, fate acts so cruel with some people. I didn't get to tell my father how much I love him. Ishita couldn't tell her father either. But unlike me, she got a  second chance. That's you, sir. She loves you so much, more than her mother, I promise you that. She cried for hours the day you visited our place. She was hurt because you were hurt."

Siddharth pulled out a pink envelope, holding it out towards Mr. Raichand. "We're getting married next Tuesday. Either you be there as her father, or as my guest. That's up to you." Mr. Raichand took the invitation from him, and Siddharth left without turning back, leaving the weight of his words hanging in the air. 

Siddharth arrived at the bustling city fire station, a place usually filled with the sounds of alarms, clanging bells, and the camaraderie of the firefighting team. Today, however, the station buzzed with a different energy as Siddharth approached his colleagues, marriage invitation in hand.

Congratulations and well-wishes echoed through the station as Siddharth's team members congratulated him on the upcoming marriage. Handshakes, pats on the back, and warm smiles were exchanged, creating a sense of unity and camaraderie that extended beyond the challenges of their daily firefighting responsibilities.

Amidst the clatter of equipment and the distant sound of alarms, Siddharth's colleagues assured him that they would be ready to offer any assistance or support needed for the wedding. The commitment to teamwork and the bond forged through shared experiences extended into the personal lives of the firefighting unit.

Ishita's workplace, a bustling hospital filled with the constant hustle and bustle of medical professionals, witnessed a similar transformation as Siddharth's fire station. The hospital corridors echoed with the footsteps of doctors, nurses, and staff engaged in their daily responsibilities. However, today carried a different vibe as Ishita approached her colleagues and senior doctors to extend the invitations to her wedding.

Dr. Kapoor, Ishita's trusted senior, greeted her with a warm smile and hearty congratulations. His experienced eyes reflected a sense of pride in witnessing the growth and happiness of a junior colleague. The exchange between them went beyond the formalities of a workplace, showcasing the mentor-mentee relationship that often thrives in the medical field.

Dr. Kapoor, expressing genuine happiness for Ishita, assured her that he and the rest of the medical team would definitely attend her wedding. The commitment from the senior doctors and colleagues to be present at the celebration underscored the sense of camaraderie and support that existed within the hospital community.