56. The Cracked Bonds

In the days following the earthquake, the tumultuous chaos began to ebb, bringing a semblance of calm to Siddharth's recovery process. Though he was faring better, the lingering effects of his injury necessitated the use of crutches for even the simplest of movements.

Standing up from a seated position or sitting down from standing required careful maneuvering, a reminder of the delicate balance between progress and limitation. Ascending and descending stairs presented an additional hurdle, testing Siddharth's resolve with each step.

Despite his eagerness to regain full mobility, Siddharth's doctor wife, Ishita, remained steadfast in her warnings. She cautioned him repeatedly against overexertion, mindful of the fragile state of his ligament. Pushing beyond his limits risked further damage, a prospect neither of them wished to entertain.

After a cozy dinner, Ishita helped Siddharth settle into bed for the night. As he casually mentioned an itch in his ear, she nodded in understanding and reached for a cotton ball from her purse. Leaning in close, she attended to his ear with care, her touch gentle and precise.

As she tended to his ear, their faces drew closer, the proximity sparking a mischievous impulse in Ishita. With a sly grin, she decided to tease him, gently caressing his earlobe. The effect was immediate - Siddharth's eyes fluttered closed, his reaction akin to that of a possessed puppet. 

Suddenly, he leaned towards her, his arms encircling her waist as if drawn by an invisible force. But before their lips could meet, Ishita skillfully thwarted his advance, pinning his chest down to the bed with a playful smirk.

Siddharth's eyes snapped open in surprise, a mix of shock and desire evident in his gaze. Caught off guard, he found himself at Ishita's mercy, her teasing banter adding to the playful atmosphere.

Her Smirk widened," You don't have clearance from hospital yet, honey." 

That added more to his helpless state, he grumbled cupping his face in embarrassment," I hate you." 

She laughed in return as she stood up," You love me." then she walked downstairs to close the doors as its time to call it a day. 

The soft morning light streamed through the kitchen window as Ishita hummed along to her favorite tunes, enjoying the rare luxury of a day off. While she wasn't exactly a culinary master like Siddharth, she knew enough tricks to whip up a decent breakfast. Today, she had settled on some scrambled eggs—a simple yet satisfying choice.

With her headphones on, she swayed gently to the music while tending to the sizzling eggs in the pan. Lost in her own little world, the sudden loud knock at the door jolted her out of her reverie. Hastily removing her headphones, Ishita furrowed her brow, puzzled by the unexpected interruption. She knew for sure she hadn't heard anyone approach the door.

Rushing to the main entrance, Ishita swung open the door, only to freeze in her tracks at the sight of her mother standing in the front yard. A myriad of emotions washed over her—surprise, confusion, and a touch of apprehension. She hadn't been expecting her mother to drop by unannounced, and she wasn't quite sure how to react.

Caught off guard, Ishita found herself at a loss for words, her mind racing as she tried to formulate a response. Ishita's heart raced as she stood awkwardly in the doorway, trying to muster the right words to greet her mother. With a nervous clearing of her throat, she managed a tentative, "Hi... mo-mom."

Mrs. Raichand's gaze swept over her daughter from head to toe, causing Ishita to suddenly feel self-conscious about her appearance. She realized she was dressed in nothing more than a simple white shorts and a half-sleeved t-shirt, her hair tousled from sleep, and her headphones dangling around her neck. She couldn't shake the feeling that she looked more like a disheveled teenager than a grown woman.