37 | It's Always Been You

[ Y/N ]

Morning light trickled through the tall holes up in the cavern of the Persistence, its late golden glow stirring me awake with a small groan of protest.

I stayed in the bedsheet bed for several minutes longer, soaking up the warm light, before finally deciding I should get up and make myself some breakfast. I opened an eye and looked over to see that G was no longer in bed next to me. When did he get up?

Confused by him not being there, I got up and looked around the suite for any sign of life, but saw none. Maybe he was down with the rest of everybody else for breakfast, or catching up with Papyrus or Frisk?

Guilt spread through my chest as I grabbed a fresh change of clothes and made my way to the shower. I knew that G had been spending pretty much all his time with me and not Papyrus or Frisk ever since our return, and even when Papyrus was here with him for those 2 months we were away, he still had spent all his time in his room planning to siege the Monster Capital again and come back for us.

He finally told me everything about his research a couple of nights ago after we spent the day in Alphy's lab, and pain still ached in my chest knowing that he went through so much grief and suffering here, just as I had there. Shame clogged my throat when I remembered that I had been too scared to tell him the details of my torture, even after he shared those personal troubles with me that night. I just didn't think I was ready yet to go back to... yeah.

I groaned under the warm water of the shower and shook my head to release those thoughts. I was here now. I was safe. And I would be able to open up on my own time, there's no rush.

My shower was finished quickly after that resolution, and I slipped on some colorful clothes for the day, deciding that I had had enough of the dreary greys and blacks I had been wearing for months on end.

The seasons were strange in the area where this particular Persistence base was, and while I knew it was sometime in December, the air outside tricked me into thinking it was still August. I wasn't complaining, however, the summer months were always enjoyable.

I slipped on a loose plum purple tank top with lacy pieces draping off the fabric around my torso, along with some beige wide-legged pants with sandals. The leather bracelet G had given me was sitting on the sink, and I made sure to slip that snuggly on too. I even snooped through the cupboards in the bathroom for some makeup, deciding that I wanted to get a little dolled up for the day. I usually didn't care much about my appearance, but after this scar made its way to my face, I figured that a little boost of self-confidence here and there was necessary.

"Damn, no makeup, maybe Katherine has some?" I mumbled to myself after closing all the bathroom drawers back up, having no luck with my search. "I guess I'll go swing by her place," I said absently before the kitchen caught my eye. "But first, breakfast."

. . .

I was somewhere on the fifth floor searching for Katherine's bedroom, checking all the names on the doors to look for the last name of our family. Before I had the chance to search for long, a door opened at the end of the hallway and my cousin walked out with papers in her hands.

"Y/N!" she exclaimed when she saw me, a huge grin spreading across her face as she gave my outfit a once over. "You look beautiful! Purple suits you."

I smiled sheepishly and jogged to meet her at the end of the hallway. "Thank you, Kath, I decided to ditch the dull tones for a day and see how I liked some color." I gave her a little twirl in my new outfit to add effect.

She laughed and gave me a side hug while shifting her papers to her other hand. "You really do remind me of our aunt and uncle, Y/N..." She gave me a sad smile. "I think they'd be so proud of who you've become."