33 | Never Leave Again

( Play Song Throughout The Entire Chapter For Max Feels )

[ G ]

"So where did you go? What did you do? Did you socialize?"

I let out a chuckle and looked back at Lavender with an amused grin on my face. "Well hello to you too," I joked while standing up and stretching, feeling my bones pop when I did, making Lavender flinch. "That's, um—anyways, when did you get back? I was up here all day cleaning up your suite and you didn't show." I shrugged and looked outside, seeing that it was night. "I woke up this morning and headed back, I went out of the base to explore."

Lavender let out a small, "oh" before crossing her arms and leaning against a wall. "So? Feel better? Feel more 'peace of mind', as some people say." I shrugged again. "I guess, I dunno. I'm still stressed and anxious, and I'm pretty sure I'll stay like until . . ." I trailed off and sighed, realizing that my words were probably true. Lavender smiled sadly and walked over to me before giving me a hug. "Don't worry, we'll see her again. I know how much you care about her."

When I hesitated to hug her back, she looked up at me with a teasing grin. "G, I'm aro, you can hug me." I chuckled and shook my skull before wrapping my arms around her. "No, it's not that. I haven't had physical contact in like, two months."

She smiled sadly and gave me one last squeeze before letting go and stuffing her hands in her pockets. I coughed and raised a bone-brow at her. "So are you really aro or are you just—" "Yes, I wasn't joking." She snickered and folded her arms. "Cool, that's cool," I said quickly, not wanting to get on her bad side. I've seen what she could do to practice dummies, and I'd like to keep my head.

"Oh, I almost forgot." I showed her my wrists where the two bracelets wrapped around them, the chains dangling from the ends. Lavender's eyes lit up when she saw them and a smile reached her face. "Hey, those belonged to two recruits we had way-back-when. Where did you find them?" I waved my hand through the air. "Around, who were the recruits?"

A sad smile reached her face as she took my hand and looked at the chains. "They belonged to a human boy who had been held prisoner by the Human Capital. Another human boy rescued him from the HC while also breaking out of the Human Army, where they were forcing him to fight. They managed to make it to the Persistence and became our top soldiers in only a few weeks."

She pulled at one of the chains and looked up at me. "The boy with the bracelets—his name was Trevor—had given his life to save the boy's, but the boy was still killed. We found their bodies in the wreckage a few days later." She pursed her lips and frowned. "Trevor and Lance, the most inseparable people I've ever met."

She smirked at me.

"But anyways," she continued. "That was during a Human Capital raid a few years ago. A Persistence soldier found the bracelets in the rubble a few feet away from their bodies, and brought them back here." She dropped my wrist and stuffed her hands back into her pockets.

We both stood in an awkward silence before Lavender cleared her throat. "You're free to keep them, as long as you don't lose them, okay?" I nodded and looked down at the bracelets, noticing the rust on the chains and how faded the leather was.

Lavender looked out the window before turning around and walking into the elevator. "Get some sleep, I'll see you in the morning. 'Night."

She pressed one of the elevator buttons and I watched as the doors closed, leaving me standing in the middle of the room with a blank look on my face.

I looked down at the bracelets again before shaking the chains and smiling. I plopped down on the couch and grabbed the red blanket, throwing it over my body before turning my skull to look outside the window and into the cavern.