02 | Time to Get Tailored

[ Y/N ]

When I opened my eyes, I was in a dark room that had small beams of sunlight streaming through a cloth covering a hole that served as a window. The hard floor I was laying on was dirty and had various objects littered across it. I propped myself up and held my head in one of my hands, trying to regain my whereabouts.

My memory suddenly flooded back and my eyes widened as I looked around the room. Was this where the shop keeper took me? Or was it someone else's? Was I in danger? Was it noon yet?

My legs shakily stood straight and stumbled over to the window, sleep still tugging at my bones. I lifted the cloth and stuck my head out of the small hole, squinting my eyes as I looked up to see where the sun was positioned. It wasn't even halfway up to a quarter of the sky, so I'd say it's about nine in the morning.

I let out a relieved breath, glad that I hadn't missed the shipment train. But I might if I didn't get out of this place soon.

I backed away from the window that was too small to crawl through and ran over to a wooden door that was to my right. The door was thankfully unlocked so I slowly turned the knob and poked my head out to check for any humans or monsters that were watching. There were none.

I slipped outside into what looked like a hall to an abandoned house with large holes in the walls. Since I still had my bag with me along with everything that I had been carrying, I crawled out through one of the holes, thankful that I didn't have to search the house for my supplies.

As I ran away from the house and entered the heart of the shipment city—it's citizens bustling with excitement for the shipments that would be arriving later today—I noticed a weight in my bag that hadn't been there before. Confused, I opened my bag to find half a dozen apples and two bottles of water. I stared at the contents for a few seconds before letting out a laugh and shaking my head.

I closed the bag and started walking towards the train tracks, my destination about two miles from where I was. It would take about half an hour to get there so I started forming a plan in my head for what I would do after I got the much needed supplies.

After I got everything I needed, I'd go into the market and find the blacksmith to maybe get a cheap deal on sharpening my knife. I'd also have to go to a tailor and get some new clothes since the poncho I was wearing needed a stitch-up.

I looked down at my poncho and saw the several holes and tears in it, the same for my black leggings as well. My brown hiking boots have definitely seen better days and the red shirt I was wearing underneath my poncho was too thin to be wearing out in the middle of nowhere.

I should probably go there now.

My mind snapped back into reality as my feet changed direction and started heading towards where all the business shops were. Since the shipment train wouldn't be coming until noon, I had about three hours to kill. Might as well get some new clothes to travel in.

I finally found the tailor and walked into the shop, a little bell ringing above the door when I opened it. A man that looked to be nearing his late thirties with tousled brown hair that had sun streaks in it and black wire rimmed glasses poked his head out from behind a wall and smiled at me. "Hello hello! What can I do for a little lady like yourself?" he asked, coming out from behind the wall to reveal a grey vest over a white dress shirt and black pants with black polished shoes.

"Well, I'd like to see your selection of traveling clothes," I answered sweetly, making sure to talk somewhat formally like most people around here. He smiled and motioned towards a doorway near behind the counter. "Why of course! Follow me and I'll take you to them."