05 | A Game of Hunt

[ Y/N ]

My eyes flew open to be met with darkness, the cool air pricking my skin to let me know that it was early in the morning. My chest heaved up and down at an unnatural pace and a cold sweat was forming on my forehead from the nightmare. I sat up and put a hand on my chest, trying to calm my frantic breathing.

Inhale . . . Exhale . . . Inhale . . .

"Exhale," I breathed out, feeling my pulse start going back to normal. I put the back of my hand against my forehead and looked over towards the horizon, seeing the sun peeking above the landscape through the leaves.

I watched the sun rise, mesmerized, and felt the air warm up as the world brightened in the early morning. The animals that had just woken up started their chatter, the birds singing their own little tunes while other creatures made their clicks here and there. I closed my eyes and breathed in the forest scent—the smell of exotic flowers and fresh soil filling my nose.

"Well look who's an early riser."

I screamed, whipping around so quickly that my foot slipped causing me to almost fall off the branch.

"G!" I screeched, eyes wide in surprise and panic. "What the hell!" G just laughed and stood up on the branch to stretch, despite having no muscles. "You didn't seem to notice I was there so I just couldn't resist." I growled and straightened up on the branch, wrapping my legs around the limb to secure my hold. "So, did you get any rest last night or were you watching me sleep like a stalker?" I asked, my voice a bit harsher than I intended.

G took out a cigarette and lit it, pretending to ignore my unapproving scowl. "Actually, I did get some sleep. I'm just an early riser." He raised a bone-brow at me. "And apparently you are too." I crossed my arms. "Well, when you're traveling with a total stranger, it's always good to have the upper-hand." He smirked. "And how's that working out for ya'?" I let out a laugh and shook my head. "Shut up."

G inhaled the smoke from the cigarette—which smelled like a combination between vanilla and burnt wood—before letting out a small puff. "So, I was thinking that we could—" "Hunt." G looked over at me. "What?" "We need to go hunting. The food I have in my bag won't last us long and if you want to go save your brother at full health, then we'll need to go out and get some."

He looked like he wanted to argue but I stopped him before he could speak by covering my hand over his mouth. "No arguing. Hunting won't take long if we're quick." He sighed and pushed my hand off his mouth, flicking his wrist to make bones appear. "Well then we'll have to hunt quickly, I want to get to my brother asap." I followed him down the temporary bone stairs he had made while fishing out my knife from my bag. "Don't worry, we will."

With my feet back on solid ground, I smiled, stretching a bit to ease the ache in my muscles. "How about we make it a game?" I suggested, crouching down to re-tie the laces on my boots. "A game? What kinda game?" G asked, throwing his used cigarette into a cluster of bushes. I glared at him for being so careless before standing back up, tightening the straps on my bag before starting to sharpen my knife using a rock.

"Like, whoever has the most meat at the end of the day wins." G nodded. "Okay, is there a prize?" I shook my head. "Shame." He looked over towards a cluster of large trees before starting to walk toward them. "Well, see ya' in a few hours!" he yelled, bolting into the forest.

"Wait! Where do we meet up!" I called, starting to run after him. "Don't worry! I'll find you!" I heard G call back from somewhere in the forest. I let out a frustrated huff before starting to run in a random direction, letting my senses expand freely to find animals worth hunting.