08 | Caught in the Act

[ Y/N ]

"Okay, let's agree never to sleep in a church again."

During the night, a few priests had come in to do their nightly prayers and had found G and I asleep in the pews when the church was supposed to be empty and locked. Their yelling and shouting had woken us up and we had narrowly escaped with our lives when they started chucking bibles at us. To put it simply, it was a pretty interesting night.

"Who knew holy books could do so much damage," G groaned, rubbing his shoulder where the corner of a bible had nailed him. I had my own battle scars from the bible massacre and even a few paper cuts along my arms. But thanks to the healing arm band, the cuts had quickly closed and the bruises were already starting to fade away.

G and I were currently traveling through the hills towards another populated city that was known for its technology and mechanics. Once I had learned that they were widely known for their expensive and complex gadgets, my hands hadn't stopped fidgeting.

My installed instincts—woah that makes me sound cool—itched to grab all the little knick-knacks that I would find in the city. I wanted so badly to wrap my hands around something worth value and feel the satisfaction of it slipping into my pocket as I slunk away into the shadows. I wanted to see the shocked expression on the people's face as they checked for their belongings only to find that they had been stolen. I wanted to—

"Watch out for that cliff, Doll."

I snapped out of my thoughts and immediately jumped back while my arms flailed wildly out of reflex. I don't know why but I always do that. G started laughing while I stood there looking around confused at the same green hills we'd been traveling through for the past two hours, not a single crevice or abyss in sight.

I glared at G who was still laughing at my reaction to his fake warning, more snorts coming out than laughs. "Haha my ignorance is sooo funny." I picked the cigarette G was holding out of his hands and stuck the unlit cancer stick between my teeth, closing my right eye and putting on a shit-eating grin.

"Oh look at me, I'm so intimidating and tall and like making fun of people during my free time and talk like fucking Morgan Freeman when I'm mad—" "Oh my god! It's a bunny! I'm gonna pet it for-fucking-ever then go over there and pet that too and that and that and that! Oh I'm so clumsy and fall on my face a lot while flailing my arms around like an idiot," G interrupted, speaking in a high pitched voice while mimicking how I would look when I saw a cute animal.

I scowled and grabbed his jacket, pulling it off with a yank before putting it on and hunching my back with a glare. "I'm so fucking moody and hate everything and I always wear a stupid smirk on my face with a cigarette in my mouth twenty-four-seven," I huffed out, not breaking eye contact with G. He held a hand over where his heart would be and let out a fake gasp. "That—that hurt. Ouch."

I burst out laughing, covering my mouth to try and muffle my snorts. G even started to laugh a little as well, our mockery of each other completely dumb. When I finally stopped laughing, I handed G back his unlit cigarette before stuffing my hands in my pant pockets, not bothering to give back his jacket.

He held the cigarette and stared at me as I started to walk in the direction of the city while I acted like I didn't just steal his jacket. He jogged to catch up and matched my pace, giving me a look. "You gonna give that back, Doll?" I pretended the think for a minute before pulling the jacket closer around me with a smug grin on my face. "Nah, I think I'll keep it."

G raised a bone-brow that I chose to ignore before letting out a sigh and stuffing the unlit cigarette in his pocket. "Guess we're gonna have to do this the hard way." A confused look passed over my face as I started to turn towards him. "Wha—"