25 | There's No Escape

[ Y/N ]

I set down the dulled stick I had found underneath Frisk's mattress and rubbed away the specks of stone off the tally mark wall. The fresh, new mark that had been made into the wall joined the other several hundred that reached up all the way to the ceiling and back down. I let out a small sigh as I stepped back and put the stick back underneath Frisk's mattress, making sure not to disturb them as they slept on the top bunk.

Just two more minutes, I thought with a bit of anxiety in my chest as I sank to the floor and leaned against the tally mark wall. Two minutes.

I took a deep breath and traced one of the scars on my shoulder, the deep cut finally healed but very visible, adding a somewhat faded white line to my skin just like the several others all over. Fortunately, most of them had faded away when they healed—thanks to my arm band—but a good twelve-or-so of them had stayed, permanently etched into my skin forever. And unfortunately, the scar above my right eye was one of them.

I reached up and tenderly placed my fingers on the scar, slowly dragging my hand down and all the way to the bottom of my eyebrow where the scar stopped. Hot tears welled in my eyes as I stared off into space and let my hand fall limp to my side. Was I ever going to get out of here? Was I going to fade away or break from the daily torture? Would I die in this place? It's only been a week and a few days but I'm already feeling hopeless.

That last word jolted me back into reality, my eyes focusing on the mirror across from me where it showed a girl my age, staring back, with tears running down her dirty face. I glared at myself in the mirror and quickly wiped my tears away while taking deep breaths and building up my mental strength, refusing to fall into a chasm of despair and self-pity.

I stood up and walked over to the cell bars, peeking my head outside of them and towards the elevator where I could see the little numbers glowing as they counted down to the prison level. Excitement rushed through my mind like water rapids as I ran over to my bunk and grabbed the roll of thick bandages and stuffed them in the waistband of my cargo pants.

I rushed back over to the tally mark wall and pretended to act sullen and helpless, my body limp as I unfocused my eyes to look over at the cell across from ours.

A flame monster sat inside burning handprints in the wall, burning them in such a way that I could only see them as artwork. I haven't paid the monster much attention the past few days, but as I sat there, pretending to be weak while the guards' steel-toed shoes tapped towards me to take me to another torture session, I couldn't help but appreciate the beauty of the monster's artwork in such a dull place.

But when the cell doors clanged open and the guards grabbed me by the shoulders, the wonder went away and I was back in a cold and heartless reality. I continued to act limp as they forced me into the elevator beside them and pressed the fortieth button, sending the metal doors slamming shut before the elevator shot up at a stomach-dropping speed. My head swam as the elevator doors opened again, but not enough to prevent what I had to do.

I tensed my muscles and lunged forward, the sudden act surprising the guards so much that I managed to break free. They opened their mouth to shout for help, but I was quicker. I tore out the thick bandages and ripped large pieces off before sliding it around their necks and pulling. I'm not a heartless killer, so the tug only surprised their blood pressure enough to make them go unconscious, leaving two passed out guards inside the elevator with their weapons completely up for grabs.

I grabbed one of their guns and quickly made sure it was loaded before dashing to the stairs and running down three-to-a-step, almost tripping and falling down three flights of stairs twice. But when I reached what I assumed was the thirty-fourth floor, my hopes were quickly diminished.