03 | Adventure is Out There

[ Y/N ]

A blood curdling scream ripped out of my throat that could be heard from at least a mile all around. My back was facing the ground and my limbs were pretty much limp as I fell to the ground that was getting closer at a frightening pace.

I don't wanna die! I mentally screamed, eyes wide and heart racing.

Hey, at least it was better than getting mutilated by a train. That would've been extremely painful. Still, no matter what death I was given, I shouldn't be receiving it at such a young age.

I squeezed my eyes shut and tried to curl myself into a ball, but it seemed my body was too busy flipping out to respond to my orders. I was very close to the ground now, so close I could see the terror in the people's eyes below me. I closed my eyes again and took a shuddering breath, trying to calm my panic.

Three . . . Two . . . One—

I let out a loud oof! when my body landed in someone's embrace, their strong arms catching me in a way that would make sure I would feel no pain. Unfortunately, I had landed in their arms upside down, so I had to use the upper body strength I didn't have to shoot up and almost hit my head against their's. My eyes flew open so that I could screech out a quick apology and thank you, when my gaze landed on their face and I sucked in a breath.

He was a skeleton monster with two distinct cracks running up and down his skull from underneath his left eye socket and going up from his right eye socket. His left eye socket held a glowing golden iris that burned with rage and intensity. He was wearing a black leather jacket that reminded me of a crop top—because of the length—with faux fur on the hood and strange patches on the shoulders that showed skull-like creatures.

He had on a white turtleneck and skinny black jeans with white suspenders hanging from the sides that I assumed were just for show. He also had on black snow boots that had fur on the top like his jacket hood with the laces untied. But the thing that stood out to me the most, were the giant holes in his palms.

The skeleton glared at the man who had pushed me on to the train tracks, the man trembling on the ground with blood flowing from his broken nose. "Get outta my sight," the skeleton hissed, disgust in his voice. The man nodded shakily and stumbled to his feet before bolting off.

The train whistle sounded out as the shipment train came to a stop, the train car doors being pulled open to reveal supplies inside.

The skeleton dropped me on the ground where I landed on my butt with another oof! escaping my lips. I watched as he walked off, his snow boots kicking at the dirt beneath his shoes. I stood up with my stare still holding on his figure, debating whether I should follow him or not. I mean, he did save my life so he deserves at least a thank you. That'll also give me a reason to stalk him.

I looked behind me at the supplies on the train that was quickly growing shorter by the second. What to do . . .

I furrowed my brow and huffed, quickly running for the train and diving into the crowd, managing to grab a crate that hadn't been opened yet and hauling it off the train with me. I threw the crate on the ground where it broke open revealing supplies that I didn't even have time to look at before they were stuffed inside my bag.

I made sure my bag was closed tightly before darting off in the direction where the skeleton had disappeared.

• • •

I narrowed my eyes and stared at the large warehouse in front of me, the windows broken and the roof gone. Why did the skeleton come here? Was this where he lived? Why choose such an out-of-shape place? Even I could find better spots in the middle of a war.