23 | A Red Blanket

[ G ]

"BROTHER! WAKE UP! THERE ARE HUMANS HERE WHO WANT TO SEE YOU!"

I cracked open an eye socket and blinked a few times before sitting up and running a hand down my face. "What? Who would . . ." My eye sockets widened. I shot up and looked around wildly, finding that I wasn't in the field anymore, but instead, what looked to be a cargo plane. "No," I whispered, panic setting in. "BROTHER, ARE YOU OKAY?" Papyrus asked from somewhere behind me.

I turned around to stare at him before letting out a shaky breath and un-focusing my vision. "Y/N and Frisk . . . we left them." A sad look passed over Papyrus' face as he folded his arms and looked at the floor. "I'M SORRY, BROTHER. WE WERE UNABLE TO SAVE THEM." He cleared his non-existent throat and looked up at me. "WHO IS Y/N, EXACTLY?"

I caught myself before I could say something I would probably regret.

"She's—she travelled all the way to the Monster Capital with me to help save you," I muttered, remembering the blaring sirens and Y/N's shouts for us to get out. Maybe if I had listened, I—we wouldn't be in this mess. "OH, WELL—" He cleared his non-existent throat again. "—A FEW HUMANS WANT TO SEE YOU. ONE IS TINY LIKE FRISK!"

My brow scrunched together. "You mean, Sammy?" Before Papyrus could respond, a door slammed open behind me and an excited squeal echoed through the small garage-like-area in the cargo plane.

"Mister skeleton!" a high pitched voice shouted, small arms soon being thrown around my leg a few seconds later. I chuckled and looked down to see a small human boy with a mess of brown disheveled hair, the freckles on his face popping out from his huge smile. "Heya, Sammy." I leaned down and picked him up, placing him on top of my shoulders where he wrapped his small arms my neck happily. "Well, it's nice to see you again," a familiar voice said from the open doorway Sammy had burst through.

I looked over and smiled when I saw Lavender, Katherine, Conner, and Tyler. "But I can't say this is how I wanted to meet," Lavender finished, a weak smile on her face. My own face dropped for a split second before I masked it with the same weak smile she wore. "Yeah, think you could help me storm the Monster Capital?"

Conner let out a chuckle and crossed his arms. "What do you think we've been doing in the Persistence? Tearing practice dummies apart?" "What he means," Katherine butted in, "is that we've been planning on how to storm the MC for years. Same with the Human Capital. We haven't made a solid plan, yet."

I sighed and set Sammy down. "Well, with me here, hopefully we can make a plan." "ME TOO!" Papyrus shouted enthusiastically. "Oh, and me too." I looked to my side to see a door open up, revealing a man in his late thirties that had brown tousled hair with sun streaks in it and black wire rimmed glasses that kept falling down his nose. He wore a grey vest and a dirty white dress shirt underneath with the sleeves rolled up to his elbows, the black slacks he was wearing torn at the ends and rolled up to reveal black boots.

He waved shyly. "Sorry, shouldn't of interrupted like that." Lavender smiled at the man and crossed her arms. "It's okay, and you're willing to help, Edward?" I looked from Edward to Lavender in confusion. "Is there something I missed?" Tyler shook his head. "Edward was one of the escaped prisoners that we found in the woods a few hours ago. He was the one who found Y/N's bag and pressed the button on the keychain Conner made to alert us."

Edward nodded. "The bag looked familiar when I first saw it, then I remembered that I had seen Y/N with it a few . . . weeks ago? Months ago?" I narrowed my eye sockets at him and stuffed my hands into my jean pockets. "How do you know Y/N?"

He rolled the sleeves up higher on his arms nervously before pushing his glasses up on his nose. "I was the one who tailored her clothing. We talked for a bit too," he said while smiling a bit. "Edward's also really good with geography. He used to be a teacher," Katherine explained to me. "YOU USED TO BE A TEACHER! OH ALL THE KNOWLEDGE AND WISDOM YOU MUST HAVE!" Papyrus exclaimed, looking at Edward in admiration.