29 | Bittersweet Notes

( Do Not Play Song Yet )

[ G ]

The ceiling fan went 'round and 'round and 'round and 'round and 'round, the chains that dangled from the motor of the fan shaking slightly from the fan's movement. I watched with half-closed eye sockets as the fan continued to spin around, my body completely exhausted from all the research and planning I had done throughout the day.

I was so close to making a solid plan, but I didn't have the right resources I needed to finish it. And unfortunately, that meant that I'd have to figure it out on my own, and hope it worked out. The work was tiring, and made me stress and get anxious, but thankfully, I always had the piano in the library to calm me down.

Edward had started giving me lessons two weeks ago, and now I was able to play several songs on a high level with ease, my fingers practically perfect for the instrument since they were long and thin.

I mean, they're bones.

'Cause I'm a skeleton.

I sighed and rested my arm over my eye sockets, listening to the fan whir above me as I leaned back and flopped down on the bed in the bedroom, my eye sockets begging to be closed as the mattress sank underneath my weight.

When was the last time I slept? I asked myself, feeling my breathing start to get slower and my body beginning to relax. Four days? Five? It's been awhile . . .

I let out another breath and let my eye sockets close, and once they did, I was out like a light.

• • •

"Stupid coffee machine, how do you work?" I grumbled to myself while looking at the bottom of the complexing coffee machine for any instructions on how to use the damn thing.

I had woken up from the small nap I had taken ten minutes ago—which I've spent trying to figure out how to get a good cup of coffee.

Frustration flared inside my mind as I let the coffee maker fall onto the counter with a loud thud. I'll just wing it, I thought while grabbing everything I needed and setting it on the counter next to the coffee machine. Let's just hope this tastes good.

It did not taste good.

I spit out the coffee into the sink and gagged, turning on the faucet to try and get the taste out of my mouth while pouring out the remains of the coffee into the other sink. That's right, I've got two sinks.

"I give up," I muttered after wiping my mouth and setting my mug on the counter. "I didn't want coffee anyways, so thanks coffee machine." I chuckled at my sarcasm and ran a hand down my face before looking outside and seeing that it was night. Perfect.

I walked into the bedroom and changed out of the grey sweatshirt I was wearing to slip on the black turtleneck that I had found at the lodge in the mountains a few weeks ago. After I had done that, I laced up my old snow boots and left my white suspenders behind, too lazy to put them on.

The elevator doors dinged when I pressed the button, and when the doors opened I slipped inside before pressing the button to floor number eight.

While the elevator traveled down, I leaned against a metal wall and stuffed my hands in my dark jean pockets, lost in thought. It's been a month, I wonder how Y/N and Frisk are doing. I forced the images of torture out of my mind before they could send me into an anxious and stressed frenzy. They're probably fine. Y/N's tough. She'll get them both through it.

The elevator doors opened back up with another cheerful ding, shaking me out of my short thoughts so that I could step out and into the dark and empty library. The desk lamp by the grand piano was off, telling me that no one had been in the library all day. That lamp was always on.