45 | Epilogue

[ Y/N ]

"It was nice of Papyrus to lend us his car."

G opened the driver's side of his brother's red convertible with a whistle. "He's got a sweet ride. I might have to borrow it more often." I closed the passenger car door after sitting down in the leather seat and gave him a look. "Yeah, good luck with that."

I started to mess with my bag strap as G pulled out of the driveway of our two-story studio apartment. We'd been planning this road trip for weeks, and I was thrilled that we were actually doing it.

Three years ago, the king of monsters and president of humans both signed a permanent peace treaty. After that, the reconstruction of America began, and with the help of the monsters, all the major cities in the west had been rebuilt in no time. It had taken a little time to get accustomed to everything that was going on, but soon humans and monsters were finally able to live in harmony.

"What's first on the list?" G asked just as we pulled onto the highway. When he tried to lean over to get a glimpse at the list I had made for the road trip, I pushed his face away and laughed. "Hey! This is supposed to be for you, you bonehead." He mocked a pout. "Doll, c'mon," he pleaded. I shook my head and grinned. "You'll just have to wait. So if you don't mind, pull off into that exit and follow the road to the treeline."

• • •

Wind whipped loose hair into the corners of my eyes and into my mouth while tall grass tickled my bare legs and sandaled feet. I could smell wet grass coming from the far distance and also the faint scent of honeysuckle. It was wonderful.

"Are those . . . ?" G said slowly, awe on his face as we stood in the middle of a field full of silky grass and tall white machines with fins. I pushed my circular sunglasses up to rest on top of my head and smiled. "Yep. Those are wind turbines."

I glanced over at G and grinned. "Wanna get a closer look?" He let out a delighted laugh and took my hand before starting to head towards the towering wind turbines.

When we finally reached the base of the nearest one, we could hear the hum of the giant machine as it turned the strong wind into energy. G pressed his hand against the side of the white metal and let out a breath. "These look new. The ones I saw way-back-when were made of rusty metal and duct tape." I laughed and pressed my hand against the wind turbine next to his. "Well, these are the new and improved ones." I turned and gave him a hopeful smile. "So? Whaddya' think? Like the trip so far?"

He flashed me a childish grin that was full of excitement and curiosity. "Hell yeah, you've got me hooked."

He took one last look at the wind turbines placed around the vast fields before turning away and facing the red convertible parked next to the dirt road in the distance.

"Lemme guess, this is going to end up being a trip down memory lane?" I wiggled my eyebrows to make him snort before shrugging and spinning on my heel to head towards the car. "Who knows? Guess we gotta see how good your driving skills are first."

G jogged to catch up with me, holding his arm above his skull so that he could block the evening sun from his vision. "Doll, I've barely been driving for a year, don't do this to me." A grin seemed to be permanently fixed onto my face as I linked my arm with his and laced our fingers together. "Haha. Too bad."

He sighed and reached over to roll the sleeves of his red sweater up to his olecranon. "Great."

"Hey," I defended. "It's not like I'm putting my life in your hands or anything." He gave me a skeptical look when I mocked a scoff. "Okay, now you've got me suspicious." His eye sockets narrowed. "What are you planning?"