41 | It'll Be Alright

[ Y/N ]

"Okay, so this'll help me with my nightmares?" I asked Alphys, who was putting a few drops of some sort of white extract into a clear flask full of see-through liquid that shimmed whenever the sunlight hit it. Alphys nodded before putting the dropper in her lab coat pocket and handing me the flask after twisting the cap back on. "Just drip a little of this into each eye and blink for thirty seconds. Then you'll have dreams that you'll start enjoying." I smiled and stuffed the flask into my back pocket. "Thanks, Alphys. You've been a huge help."

She gave me a soft smile before standing up and walking around the fire pit inside our tent to sit closer to me. "Anytime. Undyne used to get nightmares, too, so I had to make her something similar like this to help." Undyne used to get nightmares? For some reason, it was hard imagine her thrashing around in bed at night from some inexistent threat. Guess it happens to the least expected people.

"Hey, Alphys, can you help me finish the coffee for everyone?" Conner called from the kitchen where he was trying to balance three mugs in one hand. Ha, I can hold seven. She nodded and muttered a quick goodbye before standing up and smoothing down her lab coat. I watched Alphys leave before standing up and walking over to my room, pushing back the flap and ducking into the room to see G still asleep on the bed, his clothes from yesterday still on and his body not even completely covered in blankets. He even forgot to take off his snow boots.

I let out an amused breath before walking over to his side of the bed and lightly tapping his skull. "G, wake uuup," I half whispered, half cooed. His bone-brows tipped down slightly in protest before he turned away and rolled over. "C'mon, we've got to reach the shipment train tracks today." I climbed up on the bed and leaned over his body, putting my hands down in front of him to hold my weight up. He cracked open an eye socket and stared at me for a few seconds before letting out a defeated sigh and sitting up. I moved back and grabbed his jacket from off the floor before throwing it at his face.

"Conner and Alphys are making coffee for all of us. We're leaving in thirty minutes, so you'd better hurry." I leaned over and quickly kissed his forehead before lifting the flap and hurrying out to leave G to change while staring after me with a half-grin.

"So how long will it take to reach the shipment train tracks?" I asked Lavender as I walked over to where she and Undyne were talking. She turned at the sound of my voice before giving me a tired smile. "Eight hours. And if you're correct about how the train moves along the tracks, we'll spend the night on the train and get off at around five in the morning." Conner walked over and handed all of us mugs full of hot coffee. "And after that?" I sipped my coffee just as G came out of the room to join us. "Two hours of walking to the Monster Capital."

Lavender's knuckles turned white as she gripped her mug. "I still can't believe we're finally doing this." Conner gave her an easy smiled before wrapping an arm around her shoulders. "Don't worry, we're all well prepared." A dark look passed over her face. "Some of us will still die tomorrow. No plan is perfect."

Her words hung uneasily in the air, causing all of us to shift from leg to leg nervously. "We'll take the capitals down and restore peace to the country," Conner reassured while starting to rub Lavender's shoulder in a comforting way. "Their deaths won't be in vain. We'll all make sure of that." She let out a breath but relaxed her hold on her coffee mug, allowing a weak smile to reach her face as she shrugged away his shoulder and looked down into her coffee. "Right. So we'd better pack up and get going."

• • •

"What's that bird called?" I asked while pointing to a bright red bird that was perched on an oak tree near our heads. "That's called a cardinal," G answered. I smiled and watched as it cocked its head before opening its wings and flying off. "When did you learn about all these birds?" I asked him while starting to swing our linked arms back and forth.