14 | Add-Water Spaghetti

[ G ]

"I bet you can't jump across that stream," I taunted, lighting a cigarette and sticking it between my teeth. A disapproving glare came from Y/N before she cocked her head and raised an eyebrow. "Oh? Would you like to see me prove you wrong?" I chuckled and looked back at her, watching her take off her bag and chuck it at me. I caught the bag before it could hit me in the face and snorted when I heard her sigh in disappointment.

I plopped the bag next to my boots in the snow and turned towards the seven-foot-wide stream, the clear water completely frozen with a few basketball-sized rocks poking out. Y/N took a few steps back and pushed up the sleeves to her jacket, taking a quick running start before leaping over the stream and landing on the other side with a small stumble.

I jokingly applauded her jump before tossing her bag over the stream and taking a few steps back for my own running jump. "Don't fall in!" Y/N shouted from across the stream while she pulled her bag back onto her shoulders. I rolled my pupils and took the cigarette out from between my teeth. "I don't intend to!"

I got in a ready stance before breaking off into a sprint, leaping off at the last last second and landing on the other side. My knees started to buckle from my shaky landing but I managed to catch myself and stand up straight.

Stupid bones. Can barely do anything without actual muscles. And magical muscles aren't very good substitutes.

"I looked more graceful," Y/N bragged, turning on her heel to continue walking through the snowy forest. "Oh yeah?" She nodded in reply and stopped to let me catch up, linking her arms with mine once I had. Why does she do that?

I shook my skull a bit and let out a breath of cigarette smoke, watching the smoke twirl through the air before disappearing. "So, less than a mile?" Y/N asked, moving her head to the side to try and see the mountains up ahead. "Yep," I answered, letting my eye sockets close before stuffing my hands into my jean pockets.

We both walked through the snowy forest, our footsteps muffled by the powdery snow and our breaths becoming visible in the chilly air with the sun starting to set in the distance. Owls hooting and squirrels scurrying up trees were the only sounds in the peaceful forest, all the nocturnal woodland creatures starting to come out now that the huge blizzard had passed.

"Hey, are the mountains s'posed to look like they were ambushed by the biggest machine gun ever?"

I opened my eye sockets to find that we had just exited the forest, mountains covered in various sizes of caves towering before us. "Well, I wasn't lying when I said there were a lot of caves," I answered, chuckling at Y/N's baffled look. "What? Never seen a cave before?" She turned and glared at me before rolling her eyes and unlinking our arms. "Of course I've seen caves, I just haven't seen mountains like this." She waved her arm dramatically at the mountains before us.

I shook my skull while chuckling, spitting out my cigarette to crush it beneath my heel, before taking my hands out of my jean pockets as I walked towards the base of the closest mountain to start to climb. When I was about ten feet up, I heard rocks shifting behind me and looked down to see Y/N standing at the base of the mountain giving me a weird look. "Um, why are you going up?" she asked, pointing over to a pathway between the mountain I had started to climb and the one next to it.

I stared at the pathway for a few seconds before letting out a sheepish laugh and climbing back down. "I . . . uh, didn't see that." Y/N snickered and started walking towards the pathway, stuffing her hands into her pant pockets with me following behind her. After about thirty minutes, I cleared my non-existent throat and jogged to catch up with her, walking again when I had.