06 | Flower Fields

[ Y/N ]

"So, G, how did you get those cracks in your skull?"

It's been two days since we went hunting and for the most part we've just been walking. To pass the time, we both have been asking each other different questions about our lives before the war and also personality topics. I've gotten to know G a lot more and he's gotten to know me a lot more as well.

He likes the smell of vanilla—that explains the cigarette scent—and the color black. He's harsh and mean to anyone he doesn't know but gets softer overtime. He hates being wrong and having to deal with people's problems. His vocabulary is quite colorful—I learned that the hard way when I accidentally hit him with a rock while trying to scare away a bunch of birds—and he's a big show off. G also explained his magic to me and told me that the skull creatures that could shoot beams of light were called "Gaster Blasters."

I haven't told him much about myself since my life was pretty boring before the war, but I told him some of my likes and dislikes along with my personality. I liked rainy weather, looking up at the stars, reading, cute animals, having someone I can depend on, and Doritos. G started laughing when I told him that last one.

I disliked pesky bugs, smoke, cigarettes, captivity, and being told what to do. If I had to explain my personality, I'd probably say I was a psychotic hot-head who doesn't know how to keep a conversation going and ends up making it awkward before giving up on being social to go rob a bank because I can and it's fun. G started laughing again when I told him that last one as well.

Over the course of those two days, I can say that I trust G—to an extent. Sure, it sounds stupid since I haven't known him for very long, but how he talks and acts just gives off this vibe of trust and loyalty. He's also been respecting me by making sure not to smoke too close and always letting me take first pick on food. I've learned to respect him as well, so it evens it out a bit you could say.

"My cracks?" G repeated, reaching up a hand and touching the long fissure above his right eye socket. "Yeah, did you get into a fight or . . ." I trailed off, seeing a faraway look on his face. "G?" He blinked and looked over at me before stuffing his hands into his jean pockets and continuing to walk down the small path through the forest. "Oh, uh, let's just say that my, uh, existence came with a few malfunctions."

A confused look passed over my face. "What's that s'posed to mean?" He pursed his boney lips and shrugged. "Well, I've always had them, I guess would be the simplest way to put it," he answered, looking up and watching two birds flit around through the treetops.

I didn't press further on the subject, clearly seeing that he was uncomfortable, and instead asked a better question. "What was it like in the Underground? Was it awful? Great? Boring? Excit—" "Okay, okay," G chuckled, interrupting me. "The Underground wasn't bad, but it wasn't exactly great either," he started. "Me n' Pap lived in this town called Snowdin. Just like the name said, there was a lot of snow. There were also different regions in the Underground called Hotland, Waterfall, The Ruins, The Core, and these smaller places in between."

I was surprised. How could that many places fit under one mountain? And snow? How the hell does snow get down there? "That's . . . huh." G laughed. "I know what you're thinking, and honestly, I don't know how our climate works down there either."

I nodded and looked to my right, seeing a bunch of exotic flowers being bombarded by bees and butterflies. Birds were chirping and flying around above our heads and a few lizards here and there were scampering across large leaves.

The smell of roses, tulips, lavender, hydrangea, buttercups, and more suddenly filled my nose with their intense and overwhelming perfume.

I stumbled a step back at all the oncoming scents and wrinkled my nose, coughing a bit while trying to cover my nose with my shirt. That's what I get for having a very sensitive sense of smell. "What is it?" G asked, giving me a confused look. "Flowers. Lots of flowers," I answered, squinting my eyes and looking down the path, seeing a break in the forest with a bunch of colorful plants sitting at the edge of the tree line.