40 | Night Under the Stars

[ G ]

Sunlight leaked through the large windows in our suite, the low hum of the cargo plane barely a background noise as the sounds of glass tinkling together filled the room like wind chimes. I slowly opened my eye sockets and glanced up at the glass fixture that swung around from the plane's movement on the ceiling.

Y/N stirred a bit next to me before reaching up and brushing her fingertips against the back of my skull as her chest rose up and down slowly. I closed my eye sockets and pulled the sheets closer around us to try and get more sleep before I would eventually have to wake up. My fingers ran through Y/N's hair as I brought my skull down to rest against the top of her head, getting a face-full of hair that I didn't mind one bit.

If waking up meant leaving this, I never wanted to wake up.

Y/N let out a small groan of protest as a ray of sunlight moved to shine down on her face, causing her eyes to open before closing again in annoyance. "Dumb sun," she mumbled, her voice scratchy from lack of use, while she tried to pull the sheets over her head to block out the sun. That caused me to get a face-full of sheets that I did mind.

I let out a grunt before pushing the sheets down and resting my skull back on top of her head. "Oh, I didn't think you were awake," she whispered. I sighed and opened my eye sockets. "Well, I guess I am now." She snickered and sat up, choosing to ignore my annoyed look as she was suddenly pulled away from me. "I'd suggest we make some coffee, but we kinda ran out of everything to make it," she said while yawning and folding her arms behind her neck to stretch.

I pushed myself up slightly and plopped down in her lap to prevent her from leaving. "Stay." An amused tsk came from somewhere above me. "We land at noon. That's like an hour away." I groaned and opened my eye sockets to glare at the window. "Why did you have to have an internal clock? I mean, I wouldn't mind you having that weird color sense thing that a few humans have." Y/N let out a short laugh before flicking my skull and pushing me off her lap.

"Either I burn down the kitchen or you help me make a decent breakfast." I rolled over and covered my skull with a pillow to block out the sun. "You won't burn down the kitchen." I lifted the pillow up to see Y/N giving me a look. "C'mon, help me get the eggs off the top shelf." Y/N snapped her fingers and pointed next to where she stood before turning to the fridge and opening it up to look at what all was inside.

I let out an long sigh before sitting up and getting out of bed, noticing that I was still wearing the clothes I had worn yesterday, the black long sleeve shirt wrinkled from sleeping in it. I rolled the sleeves up on my shirt before helping Y/N reach the eggs and butter. I set them both on the counter before watching as she pulled out tortillas and ground beef. "What're you making?" I asked curiously as she searched the cupboards for a frying pan and cooking spray.

"Breakfast burritos, my mom taught me how to make them way-back-when, could you grab the cheese?"

For the next half hour, both of us struggled with cooking proper food while trying not to burn the whole plane down in the process. Lavender probably wouldn't be very happy with us if the smoke alarms started going off. After we finished cooking and eating the pretty decent breakfast burritos, we quickly cleaned up around the suite before changing into the clothes that we were supposed to wear for when we would land while also making sure we had all our gear and supplies together.

"Pistol and silencer?" Y/N called from off the list she was holding while tying her black army boots. "Check," I responded while making sure the safety was flicked on and also checking to see if the silencer was well attached to the pistol. "Flashlight?" "Check." "Extra bedroll?" "Check." "That device thingy that Conner showed us?" I picked up the grey remote control device thing and nodded before stuffing it back in the bag. "Check."